200 Di problem

BSF

OK, I may be in the wrong forum, but it is in a Series 3 109.

Engine has run fine for years, but two days ago it started losing power on hills, sort of pulling and then fading away. Seems to get worse as the engine warms up.

Suspected fuel starvation, so changed fuel filter. No change.

Next changed the lift pump. Still no change, if anything worse.

This afternoon connected lift pump to a jerrycan of diesel to eliminate an air leak. Again worse if anything.

The only parts of the original fuel system are now the two pipes from lift pump to filter and filter to injector pump (which I will change tomorrow) and, of course, the injector pump. Anyone know of an injector pump fault that does this?

Tried that, no change. It is now so bad that engine only just idles. I've checked the fuel supple at the injector pump inlet and it is good and the flow out of the return is also good.

I am guessing it will be a very expensive injector pump overhaul.

Is it a later series 3? I had this with mine and the trouble was traced to the fuel pick up pipe in the tank - there is a little plastic & steel fine mesh screen on this, which was all blocked up with diesel bug.

Wynns diesel bug treatment helps keep it under control.

G.

In the end it proved to be the stop solenoid, at least that is the only thing that has now changed and it seems OK.

I did at one point change the lift pump for a nice shiny new one in a box with Sh*tpart on the outside; this came with an interesting little packet of bits including a spacer. With the spacer between the pump and the engine the operating lever didn't seem to touch the cam, the manual operating lever worked fine, but the pump didn't work when the engine was turning. Fitting the pump without the spacer had the opposite effect in that the operating aren was so compressed that it didn't pump and the manual lever didn't work either. With the pump off the engine it worked fine on either. Not sure which engine it is intended for, but obviously not a 200 Tdi.

Put the old pump back on and all is sweetness and light with an adequate supply of diesel.

Thanks for all your suggestions.