200TDI Timing Belt Fluff

Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster and I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers.

I'm currently the proud owner of a 1985 110 which originally had a 2.5na. I managed to get a defender 200TDI engine which I've put in and I'm just doing a few things before i get it on the road. The current job is the timing belt.

The problem is I've taken the timing cover off and there is a fair bit of black fluff inside. The belt itself looks ok but its obviously been rubbing as its mounted as far back on the pulleys as it can go.

I'm not sure if this is just a case of the belt being fitted incorrectly before but from reading online I've read it could be caused by the injection pump pulley being misaligned but if this is the case I'm not sure what to do to fix this.

I've also read this is common on a 300TDI but not 200.

Can anyone give me any ideas of what to do next? I thought I'd better ask before I end up doing something stupid!

John

Sorry John

No help with the 200 tdi but I have a 300 tdi and did have this with it.

They changed the crank shaft pulley on the 300 tdi - the new pulley has got sides on it to stop the belt running of, I am not sure if that mod was done the the 200 tdi also.

Someone will be along soon with the answer.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi John

set the timing and loosen the tensioner , then check for end float on the inj pump , this is often the cause and means it will need overhauling

There is a thread on here in the last week or so dealing with this

cheers

Steveb

Just checked it this evening and although I don't have the tools at the moment to check it properly it seems like it's got between 1-2mm of play. After reading the other thread it sounds very similar so it seems that it's time to get it overhauled.

I guess at least I'll know the FIP will be in good shape afterwards.