Series 3 2.25 not running right

Porge23

Hi all,

I'm struggling to solve this problem on my 2.25 series 3 Landy. It was running fine until I stupidly ran out of fuel. Since then it has its moments, one day it'll run fine and the next it'll splutter and cough and want to stall. I have read previous posts and,

cleaned all the jets in the carb

put a new inline fuel filter on

Replace the dizzy cap

Replace the coil but not the ballast resistor

Reset the points to 12thou

Checked valve cleanances

And still no better! It has a Webber 34 ICT carb on it I think. There seems to be air bubbles coming up from the fuel pump into the fuel filter, however this has always done this and was running fine before.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Maybe worth removing the fuel pickup tube out of the fuel tank and check the siff (if it has one). Sounds like you sucked a lot of dirt out of your empty tank and it has blocked something.

Daan

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Maybe worth removing the fuel pickup tube out of the fuel tank and check the siff (if it has one). Sounds like you sucked a lot of dirt out of your empty tank and it has blocked something.

Daan

^^This

There will be some crud blocking the pickup tube every once in a while which gives the intermittent problem.

You have a few options: replace fuel lines with new hoses, drop tank and clean it out fully, clean/service pickup. Small shot of compressed air into the tube should be ok if my memory serves.

Let us know how you get on :)

Josh

Thanks for all your replies!

So if I were to take to fuel line off the pump to the tank and blow compressed air down, that should clear that?

Also I haven't found the little filter in the carb, just looked at an exploded diagram of it and will have another look at that.

Might be a day or so before I get chance to have another look at it mind.

Thanks for all your advice!

Well iv blown down the fuel line and found that the nut was really loose! Probably answers the air bubbles coming through, and found the small filter in the carb and it was completly caked full of muk! Sorry for the incompetence, completly missed that! Cleaned it all out, took the carb apart again and cleaned it all through again. The bubbles have now stopped and it seems to run better, but like I said, it was/is intermittent so gona take it out Wednesday night and see how it goes! Im feeling quite confident!

Will let you all know how I get on.

Well, I've taken it out for a drive this evening, and still experiencing the same problem! It seems that when running whilst stationary it isn't as noticeable. However when driving it is as if you are repeatedly tapping the accelerator and causes that bunny hop/jolting motion. Any ideas what could be causing this or any suggestions what else I could try?