Seat belt Installation

siearl

Posted on here a few weeks ago ref this and only just getting down to doing it. Phoned a few places today and was very surprosed that they supply the selt belt stuff but they dont come with the spreader plates, does anyone know if kits that come with these.

Thats what confused me it is a company that is not far from me that deals in landrover parts, Very good catalogue. And they have told me that there seat belts dont include a spreader plate. Which i thought would have been part of the kit as it is needed. Wouldn't normally care but it is only a lap belt should i have someone in the back

Thats what confused me it is a company that is not far from me that deals in landrover parts, Very good catalogue. And they have told me that there seat belts dont include a spreader plate. Which i thought would have been part of the kit as it is needed. Wouldn't normally care but it is only a lap belt should i have someone in the back

First off apart from the fact that you may not care about your passenger - but if he comes loose then you may end up getting very seriously injured by him flying about let alone the fact that he is likely to get a bashing.

More to the point I had to fit seat belts to a 1994 110 that came without and when I had look at the factory fited seat belts on other 110s I was suprised at how flimsy the fittings seem. However on second thoughts, and drawing on my other backgrounds (namely SAR and High Angle Rescue) I figured that after a certain point even if the belt holds the person in is pretty irrelevant as the kinetics of the crash will be more than the human body can suffer. Imagine how much energy it requires to pull one of those oblong "spreader" plates through the ali/tin and I am sure that you will agree that if that much energy is involved then the chances are that if that "plate" gets pulled through it will be pretty irrelevant ?!

So when I fitted my belts I doubled the size of the spreader plate and used M10 bolts with nylo nuts - I have not crash tested .....Yet ! nor indeed do I intend to.

Adam

Sorry you seem to mis understand me, by that i meant i wouldnt normal care that they didnt supply them, but the fact it is only a lap belt you would have thought that something like that would have been included purely to make sure you do add them to make it more secure.

My plan is tomorrow to phone a few blacksmiths and see what they can do for me