discovery 200tdi to v8 3.9

muddy4x4xfar

hi all, im on with rebuilding my 200tdi 1993 discovery , a full rebuild, i know most are going to say its not worth it but this was my first ever car i bought at 15 an its been with me ever since.

so what im wanting to do is put a 3.9 v8 into it, obviously more power and speed. not bothered about fuel.

i know some have done this but never seen a write anywhere on things that will need changing etc, hopeing you guys could give me some advice on what has to be done,

also could i use a manual gearbox or do they have to be auto for these engines, i.e coping with the power etc.

any advice would be much appreciated also if anyone has any pictures etc of conversions done would be a big help too.

many thanks

chris

You certainly use a manual, they cope fine with the power, they are harder to find, and the autoboxes are SO much nicer to drive though.... :) Drive both then make a decision?

Obviously need an EFI in-tank fuel pump, you may find you can re-use the lines, if not then just transplant them from your donor or make from scratch.

Need the EFI loom and ECU, exhaust, air filter.

TBH, the simplest method for this is to buy a running donor vehicle then transfer everything across, and you KNOW you have everything you need.

Pictures of a conversion will just look like a factory installation, as everything is interchangeable, so doubt you would glean much from them...

You certainly use a manual, they cope fine with the power, they are harder to find, and the autoboxes are SO much nicer to drive though.... :) Drive both then make a decision?

Obviously need an EFI in-tank fuel pump, you may find you can re-use the lines, if not then just transplant them from your donor or make from scratch.

Need the EFI loom and ECU, exhaust, air filter.

TBH, the simplest method for this is to buy a running donor vehicle then transfer everything across, and you KNOW you have everything you need.

Pictures of a conversion will just look like a factory installation, as everything is interchangeable, so doubt you would glean much from them...

thats great thanks, is it a full loom change over or is it an engine loom change do you know, my problem is going to be space which i dont have for a donor vehicle which was going to be my first thought if i could , just change everything over,

Yep, just an engine loom, it connects up in the drivers footwell, very easy to splice, maybe even plug in depending on year.

brilliant thank you, besides engine mounts is there anything else that will need changing over , i am currently doing a lot of research into it all. these are just question i can't find answers to , not to sound stupid if that makes sense.