Disco steering pump query

Anglo-Frenchman

Hi. Took the Disco for its WOF today and it got pulled for a slight leak on the steering pump. I cleaned it up and it appears to be weeping fluid very slightly between the pump and the mount (see photo) Is this a sign that the pump is shot? Seems to be working fine apart from occasionally making a bit of a noise on full lock but it's done that for the last 75000km!

post-1058-0-39526900-1442039054_thumb.jpg

It looks from your photos as if you have a hair line fracture on the casting. In any case they do fail, as I said in a previous post on these pumps it's beyond my understanding why LR didn't specify that the the pump shaft bearings were to be lubricated by the hydraulic fluid with a ceramic seal external to the front bearing, (my guess is costs and accountants) but they didn't and the front bearing does fail as it is a "lubricated for life" type bearing and when it does the shaft chews out the flimsy internal oil seal and that's the end of the pump.

So, sorry and all that :blush: but replace it before that tiny weep becomes a full blown fluid leak, when they go it can be spectacular. The gods of motoring normally time this failure to occur in the dark of night on a cold wet rainy day when all you want to do is get home. :excl:

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I managed to tighted the small banjo connection to the pump and cleaned it up. It weeps a tiniy amount of fluid so not a real biggy. Ironically, after spending a couple of hours trying to sort it out I took it back to the WOF station for a re-check and he just passed it without even looking at it. Glad I did'nt do more. I've always had my suspicions about the thoroughness of VTNZ and now they're confirmed. I confess that when one of their 'technicians' takes 5 minutes to figure out how to open the bonnet - I think that's a cause for concern!

A mate recently got his Defender through a VIN inspection. I asked if I could have a look at his battery mount because I'm putting together a 110 which also needs a VIN. He said not to bother, it's just sitting loose in the battery box and is on his to-do list! Getting any inspection in NZ is a bit of a raffle. I always wipe down all my leaks just before I go in...

Ironically, the last job on my list is a leaky p/s pump but it's quite different to yours.