Info Required

Evo_uk1

I would like to raise my Discovery 2 at least 2" but I wish to keep the air bags on the rear however the place I was going to get it done only converts from air to coil spring .... I have seen on the net spacers of 2" which states you can still keep your air suspension on the rear what I basicly need to know is

1: would I need new springs on the front ?

2: would I require new shocks all round & bigger in length ?

3 : would I require extra long brake pipes ?

Responses after your questions :

I would like to raise my Discovery 2 at least 2" but I wish to keep the air bags on the rear however the place I was going to get it done only converts from air to coil spring .... I have seen on the net spacers of 2" which states you can still keep your air suspension on the rear what I basicly need to know is

1: would I need new springs on the front ? Yes - unless you want a "dragster" look - lol

2: would I require new shocks all round & bigger in length ? Yes - so that the suspension can extend as far as possible to maximise articulation & prevent the existing dampers hitting their internal stops eg as you go over potholes etc

3 : would I require extra long brake pipes ? Again yes unless you want the existing hoses to be stretched / damaged if the suspension extends fully ( with the extended dampers)

Using the air-bag spacer blocks you'll need to re-calibrate the air suspension, so that the new lifted height is recognised as the new "standard" ride height. I think it can be done via re-calibrating the SLS ecu or by extending the height senor links so that their angular position is the same as the "old" standard ride height. Others who,'ve actually done this may be able to give more details if you need it.

Paul

2001 TD5 186,000 miles & climbing

I put some 40mm (or may 50mm) spacers on my rear air bags and they came with height sensor extenders. We've done a few runs since this, a big road journey of about 3500km and a bit less but with some sand driving.

They have been fine, we were reasonably well loaded on both trips with 4 adults, fridge, swag, big tent, spares, clothes, cooking gear and so on.

I did pick up some extended brake lines though, I'd advise them on the rear because when you hit the off road ridge height it can get a fair old bit of separation at that point.

So far I am liking the air suspension, fully loaded it rides better than the D1.