Clutch fluid issues

Hi everyone!

I fear my Defender 110 of 2007 has trouble with its clutch fluid. Actually, the service guys told me to change the seals of transfer box, differentials and the kinds. But had neither time nor cash for it, so I've dragged a bit (5.000km this summer)...

Last week, upon going back home, I found the clutch pedal very weak. I still managed to go home (450km) but now I'm worried. I've checked the posts on the forum and others had had the same issue: the slave cylinder is probably the source of my misery.

I have checked the clutch fluid reservoir and, from what I could see (they were drunk when they designed the location of this thing?) it's not really full. But not empty either. There is a thick viscous liquid at the bottom of it.

Questions:

- Is the appearance of this vicous clutch liquid normal?

- Should I get a bottle of DOT4 and pour it in, or I do nothing and simply bring the car to the service to finally do the re-sealing?

Thanks in advance!

The gunge in the bottom is residue caused by the reaction of brake fluid and moisture, clean it out and fill with clean DOT4 and see if you have a peddle, you may need to bleed the clutch by opening the clutch nipple and having a mate to pump the peddle while you bleed the system, if you dont have any pressure try renewing the master cylinder piston seals and slave cylinder seals.

If a master cylinder leaks it deposits the leaking fluid down the clutch pedal. The Slave will lose it out the bottom of the bell housing. The fluid should be upto the top of the master cylinder reservoir so topping up would be wise.

IMHO fitting new seals is a waste of time. Replace both units with good quality items and be done with it.

Thank you both for your tips. I cleaned to the best of my capacity the dirty residue and added some DOT4.

I drove a bit, and it seems to be feeling better: the pedal isn't as weak as before, even if it's not back to it's orignal position.

I will defenitly have the slave cylinder checked and all the other seals too, but in the meantime that'll do.

All the best!