TD5 suddenly stops while driving

Doddy23

Hi all, I've just bought a disco td5 and had a steering joint fitted for mot. Since this has been fitted, while driving the TC light comes on and the truck stops almost throwing me through the window!? Has anyone else experienced this? The diff seems fine and it has recently had an abs sensor and 3 amigo lights sorted before I bought it.

Many thanks in advance

Hi, if the sensor was aftermarket that could be the reason, as you dont have 3 amigos the system passes the stationary self test cos the sensor's output is within accepted limits without movement but as you start driving the new sensor's output starts to be different than the other 3 especially than the other on the same axle and the TC kicks in to equalise wheel speeds, it's a very sensitive system and any missbalance can mix it up, put same brand sensor on the other side on the same axle and tap gently the sensors with a rubber hammer before you tighten the screw...and give contact spray into the plugs

to make it driveable untill you fix it remove the ABS pump relay R10, you'll get the 3 amigos and there will be no ABS activity but the brakes will work normally without any problems

That's great thank you, I'll try that tomorrow. I'm not sure if it was a genuine part fitted as it was done before I purchased the truck.

I will check the sensors as it was driving ok until the steering joint was fitted.

Thank you again for replying much appreciated

Will update once I've looked at it

Honestly, for problems like this, you really should start with a diagnostic check. The abs system on the disco 2 is very good at self diagnosing and will give you a "sensor air gap too large" fault if the sensor is incorrectly fitted. My guess is that whoever fitted the sensor didn't give it a tap as suggested above. It's very common, most people assume the bolt will pull it in but it doesn't, you need to give it a tap and check that it's fully seated.

This particular issue is not about too large air gap cos the related fault code would bring the 3 amigos with it and it happens when the difference between one sensor's signal and the other 3 is out of a preset limit, in this case there's no fault code logged just a signal missbalance as the problematic signal is within accepted limits but it's ''assumed'' by the system as wheel slip being different than the other sensor on the same axle at the same vehicle speed which is calculated from all 4 sensor's average outputs... i've studied this system deeply believe me