TD5 Throttle

HI,

My TD5 90 (2001) let me down for the first time yesterday, the thottle would not respond. However today it is working again any idea's please?

Peter

Yes,the storm engine ecu has detected a fault in the feedback from the driver demand pot,(throttle pedal)It has either lost its 5v supply or the pot track is failing and not giving an output.The ecu will bring engine speed back to idle,where it will stay till you key off.When you restart,if the output from the pedal is good then driver demand will be restored.Poor connections,water in loom can also cause this.Not always easy to make an accurate diagnosis,unplug the pedal and check the connections there and down at the ecu.Next check the individual conductors for continuity and leak to earth.Then make sure there is a healthy 5v supply to the pedal,if none of that finds the problem you really need to chase the fault with an oscilliscope.

Good luck !

Yes,the storm engine ecu has detected a fault in the feedback from the driver demand pot,(throttle pedal)It has either lost its 5v supply or the pot track is failing and not giving an output.The ecu will bring engine speed back to idle,where it will stay till you key off.When you restart,if the output from the pedal is good then driver demand will be restored.Poor connections,water in loom can also cause this.Not always easy to make an accurate diagnosis,unplug the pedal and check the connections there and down at the ecu.Next check the individual conductors for continuity and leak to earth.Then make sure there is a healthy 5v supply to the pedal,if none of that finds the problem you really need to chase the fault with an oscilliscope.

Good luck !

Thanks,

I changed the ECU to my spare and it was still the same, I left it over night (Last) and am today it fired up and was normal which was a pain as now I have no fault. I have a spare throttle switch so will change that and check conections.

Peter

Guest diesel_jim

You can swap them over no problem. i've just had a new one fitted to mine as the return spring broke, just a case of plug in anc away ya go.

I'm planning to try and make a hand throttle out of the bits that are left over....

Does anyone happen to know what the plug is called/serial-number-type-thing that plugs into the throttle pedal?

You can swap them over no problem. i've just had a new one fitted to mine as the return spring broke, just a case of plug in anc away ya go.

I'm planning to try and make a hand throttle out of the bits that are left over....

Does anyone happen to know what the plug is called/serial-number-type-thing that plugs into the throttle pedal?

Oh well my spare must be a duff one as it won't work, or is the wrong one as it came of a newer td5 defender.

Cheers

Peter

Oh well my spare must be a duff one as it won't work, or is the wrong one as it came of a newer td5 defender.

Cheers

Peter

There are 2 different Td5 pedal sensors, a "2 track" and a "3 track". The 2 track was used up to about 2002 model (vin number ending in something like XAxxxxxx YAxxxxxx or 1Axxxxxx, think the pedals changed at about 1A607xxx can't remember the exact point) and the 3 track pedal is fitted from all vins after that i.e. all later 2A, 3A, 4A etc.

Plugs on the pedal sensor are the same and they look the same on the outside, you need to check the p/number on the pedal. PM me the part number off your 2 pedals, and the VIN number of your vehicle if you're not sure and I'll check from work tomorrow, because I can't remember which is which offhand. But if the one you put in is a different p/no to the one you took out, it won't work as a straight swap. You can set the later Td5 ECU (meant for 3 track) to use a 2 track pedal, but you need a Testbook/T4/Autologic to do it. I don't think you can set an old vehicle to use a later type pedal.

There are 2 different Td5 pedal sensors, a "2 track" and a "3 track". The 2 track was used up to about 2002 model (vin number ending in something like XAxxxxxx YAxxxxxx or 1Axxxxxx, think the pedals changed at about 1A607xxx can't remember the exact point) and the 3 track pedal is fitted from all vins after that i.e. all later 2A, 3A, 4A etc.

Plugs on the pedal sensor are the same and they look the same on the outside, you need to check the p/number on the pedal. PM me the part number off your 2 pedals, and the VIN number of your vehicle if you're not sure and I'll check from work tomorrow, because I can't remember which is which offhand. But if the one you put in is a different p/no to the one you took out, it won't work as a straight swap. You can set the later Td5 ECU (meant for 3 track) to use a 2 track pedal, but you need a Testbook/T4/Autologic to do it. I don't think you can set an old vehicle to use a later type pedal.

Thanks, I thought it would be like that, I have a late type ECU fitted and the Throttle switch I have as a spare is a 3 track as it is from a 2005 defender.

A mate brought home a diagnostic computer tonight and it did not show a fault other than the air flow meter which I had a spare one and fitted that cured that. But the problem is, what ever stopped it from reving in the first place has cured it's self so untill it packs up again I will be on tender hooks.

Cheers for you help.

Peter

Thanks, I thought it would be like that, I have a late type ECU fitted and the Throttle switch I have as a spare is a 3 track as it is from a 2005 defender.

A mate brought home a diagnostic computer tonight and it did not show a fault other than the air flow meter which I had a spare one and fitted that cured that. But the problem is, what ever stopped it from reving in the first place has cured it's self so untill it packs up again I will be on tender hooks.

Cheers for you help.

Peter

Airflow meter problems dont cause the ecu to shut the engine down to idle,they just go to default,sometimes the ecu wont log a fault straight away.Not wanting to be rude but ocassionally I have pulled faults with Testbook that other diagnostic computers have failed to expose,(opposite to how the other companies advertise them) so I wonder if there is a fault there or if the Ecu failed to log it.Either way I would be very thorough in checking it all out.

Airflow meter problems dont cause the ecu to shut the engine down to idle,they just go to default,sometimes the ecu wont log a fault straight away.Not wanting to be rude but ocassionally I have pulled faults with Testbook that other diagnostic computers have failed to expose,(opposite to how the other companies advertise them) so I wonder if there is a fault there or if the Ecu failed to log it.Either way I would be very thorough in checking it all out.

Thanks, I know a man with testbook so will pester him later.

Peter

Guest diesel_jim
Don't know as that link doesn't work ;)

Does for me. :rolleyes:

I like this one.... full Td5 diagnostics, although at £440 it's a bit steep! only £220 for the disk alone, that makes the little USB lead rather expensive.... :rolleyes:

Think i'll have a look on emule tonight... :ph34r:

Does for me. :rolleyes:

I like this one.... full Td5 diagnostics, although at £440 it's a bit steep! only £220 for the disk alone, that makes the little USB lead rather expensive.... :rolleyes:

Think i'll have a look on emule tonight... :ph34r:

Works for me as well now (well it did a minute ago.. now it won't)...

Does do all the basic stuff, but you can't mess with the alarm, or change the fuel maps/variant files - so no good for doing remaps/tuning work!!!

But as a basic package is not that bad...

Ian

Guest diesel_jim
Works for me as well now (well it did a minute ago.. now it won't)...

Does do all the basic stuff, but you can't mess with the alarm, or change the fuel maps/variant files - so no good for doing remaps/tuning work!!!

But as a basic package is not that bad...

Ian

can anyone reccomend a decent bit of software that will work on a normal laptop (without need a special tablet type thing) that will do all of the above? ie, general checks, alarm, ECU resetting etc etc?

can anyone reccomend a decent bit of software that will work on a normal laptop (without need a special tablet type thing) that will do all of the above? ie, general checks, alarm, ECU resetting etc etc?

Rovacom lite... www.rovacomlite.com

Not that cheap, but runs on a laptop and you just buy the modules you need.

Or you you could just pay me ;) (I have Rovacom Lite - along with Td5 modules, Defender Alarm, RR38a etc etc)

Ian

Is it worth changing to a 3 track? apart from price L/R price for a 2 track is £120 and for a 3 track £40.

Peter

Not really. In fact having been involved in a contract to put speed limiters in a load of military vehicles here to stop them driving off the side of the road rather too often, we found that the 3 track ones caused more trouble than the old ones. The third track is some sort of error checking between the other two, in practice it doesn't get you home though, just makes the check engine light come on... :rolleyes:

I got a 2 track for about £70 from my local dealer.

I have suffered a lot from the inert throttle problem and have spent a lot of time chasing faults that disappear.

One of the most annoying ones was that someone has screwed one of the dash retaining screw through the throttle loom, which meant when it rained heavily, or you drove into water it dead shorted killing the throttle. Errors came up as injector corrupt data or something similar.... Try and find that fault with that error!

It took a lot of time and luck to solve that. Any form of short on the throttle loom is reciepe for disaster.....

I have spare everything from bulkhead looms to all the sensors!

Pete

• 1 year later...
The fault readout on the Td5s is very imaginative regarding what is wrong with it and throws up some fault codes that even LR tech support don't understand - try finding a "topside switch" anywhere for example!

a bit of anold post i know 2 years , but anyway it my help someone in the future.

Topside switch is normaly a problem with the 2 big capasitors inside the ecu that fire the injectors.