Clutch slow to release

deep

I've enjoyed playing around with a cheap Series 2a over the last year or so but it has to go to help pay for a costly 110 rebuild. I have found a buyer but he wanted me to fix the clutch. Fair enough, except I am now stumped! Can anyone help?

The issue is that the clutch depresses smoothly (if a little heavily but I believe that is due to the way the non-standard Holden motor was fitted) but, when you release it, the pedal returns immediately (courtesy of its own spring) but the clutch takes up over several seconds. It means manoeuvring or taking off requires patience and gear changes require planning. There is no slipping, no bad noise or any other issue. Just the very slow uptake.

I have stripped and honed both master and slave cylinders as sticky pistons are not unusual for a Land Rover that is sometimes submerged but that made no difference.

I am convinced that the problem is in the master cylinder. This is because, with the floor out and spanner at the ready, it is possible to push the clutch in, then loosen the bleeder while the lever returns. As soon as I do that, the clutch lever from the bell housing instantly returns, while fluid sprays out of the bleeder. Clearly there is some sort of hydraulic damping going on but I am quite baffled. The master cylinder does have an odd valve assembly in it, though I can't see how it could be fitted wrongly and it seems free to move.

I don't really want to fork out for new bits until I know for sure I need them and what the problem is. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Strangely, I have got so used to it being like this, as did the previous owner, that I feel a bit indignant the buyer can't just learn to live with it...

Very common to go wrong, the inside delaminates and acts like a one-way valve

I have a very vague memory of hearing about this once upon a time. Wish I'd remembered before I stripped everything else off! I took the hose off today. It feels VERY dodgy, so I think we've hit bingo.