Wheel Spats/Arches & 285 75 16 on ET0....

Hi All,

Project build is a rebody based on a '95 D1 V8i chassis and running gear.

Can some one let me know how much the standard width arches extend from the arches? Assuming the +2" ones are 2" wider as the name suggests!

I'm giving some thought to tyre/wheel choice at the moment. Current thoughts are steel modular.

Wheel: Modular 8J 16" ET0

Tyres: 285 75 16 Bfgoodrich KO2

Currently fitted are:

Wheel: alloys 7J 16" ET33

Tyres: 235 75 16

I'm having to rework last nights calcs this evening as I'd assumed I had 255s currently on where as I've actually got 235.

The diameter will be raised from 29" to 33". I expect the tyres to be out an extra 58mm or so from standard. This should give 25mm extra room on the inner side than needed.

Will this be enough with a 2" lift to maintain the standard steering lock?

Is the 33mm change in offset enough to trigger warnings on excessive wheel bearing wear or is this only really an issue with the deep dish, negative offset (ie further out from the diff) wheels?

If possible I'd like to avoid using spacers and buy the right wheels first, but understand if guessing it would be safer to buy over positive offset and use spaces to offset outward.

Thanks for any advice.

Wheel offset change from ET33 to ET0

Tyre change from 235 70 16 (29") to 285 75 16 (32.8")

Increase in vehicle width (per side) in mm:

33 + (285/2) - (235/2) = 58mm (Tyres further out of the arches)

Decrease in inside tyre to car clearance:

(285/2) - (235/2) - 33 = -8mm (More room between tyre inside side wall and suspension)

Need to know:

~ If 58mm is going to be covered by the +2" arches.

~ If a 33mm offset change is significant enough to cause bearing issues.

Increase in width is rough compensation (hopefully more than) for raising CofG by 2" and to ensure there is minimal, if no rubbing issues. I'd like to maintain full lock.

Are you fitting defender bodywork and eyebrows? the 0mm will stick out slightly in this case. The 8mm offset rims (common size modular wheel) will just about be level I think. In terms of wheel bearing, steering box and ball joints. 0mm is the furthest I would go and has been reliable on my car for many years. I have now fitted 8mm offset wheels again, to be a bit more kind to my steering box.

Daan

I use the standard eyebrows. Not sure how far they protrude from the bodywork, the car is not handy here. I can measure tonight though if you like. on +8mm offset rims and 35x10.5x16 simex tyres, the outer edge of the entire wheel assy fits perfectly level inside the standard eyebrow.

Daan

No rush, but if you could check next time you are out that's be great.

I'd have to compare the defenders body width to the Sahara body width. Should be able to guess from what you've said though thanks.

285 works out at about 11 1/4 " width.

Found reference to 90mm on another forum. Also found defender width to be 70.5"/1791mm. This might however be including some protrusions outside the surface of the wings. I'll have another look at my body this evening.