2002 Td5 Servicing query

Anglo-Frenchman

Hi. A have a couple of quick queries regarding Td5 servicing. I recently did the oil, fuel, air filter change on my 2002 Disco and I had bit of an issue getting it restarted again after changing the fuel filter. The book doesn't say anything about pre-filling the fuel filter to reduce air being sucked through into the system but I've been wondering whether I should have done so. I had to run the air bleeding sequence 3 times before it coughed into life which doesn't seem right. Any thoughts appreciated.

Also, I've noticed that my oil centrifuge really whines when the engine is turned off. I was hoping that it might improve after the service but it still sounds like a dive-bombing Stuka as it winds down. Is this somethnig I should be concerned about? To my way of thinking: noise = friction = wear = damage.

Thanks

No,don't pour potentially dirty fuel into the fuel filter.(I've seen more than one TD5 down on power where dirty fuel has blocked injector nozzles)Just carry on doing the bleed cycle method of pressing the throttle 5 times in less than 10 secs and waiting.Normally twice is enough,but if it needs 3 then do it.Better than having muck getting to the injectors.

That you can hear the oil rotor running down is a good thing - means its working ! I've seen some aftermarket rotors where the bushes have been machined undersize,with the result that the rotor had been forced on but couldn't spin. So no particle filtering....

Hi Gerard,

As above.....

Purge fuel until gurgling stops... 2 or 3 times if needed.

Regards the centrifugal filter, some are quieter than others but to hear it spinning down is good news... It's spinning !!

You've already done the injector seals so unless your fuel pump is getting weaker with age (Mine lost a lot of pressure at around 90k miles) it's just taking time to clear through the system.

The gurgling / swishing should be quite audible.... If it's not, you may want to consider the in tank fuel pump....

Neil

Thanks very much for the responses, obviously being paranoid! Thanks for the advice re-the tank pump Neil but I replaced it with a new VDO unit around a year ago after the cheap generic replacement one crapped out after around the same amount of time. Proves that you get what you pay for.