Romania

leeds

Romania, has been described as the Wild East of Europe but is an incredibly friendly place to visit in a Land Rover. The country escaped from the clutches of the communist dictator Ceausecu in about 1990. It joins the EU early next year. It is a country trying to modernise rapidly after the communist era but is struggling as it is not a rich country. A lot of it’s national services are well behind western Europe standards but its industry and agriculture is a mixture of the 19th and 21st century standards.

To get there from the UK is about a 1,500 mile drive but is well worth the visit. Food accommodation and beer is cheap by UK standards. Diesel is about 60-65 p per litre. Accommodation is about £12-15 per night in good modern small hotels. The people are friendly and helpful and it is amazing who you can find who speaks English

Give way to crossing traffic

DSC03638.jpg

The countryside is also dotted with Soviet style monuments.

DSC03705.jpg

Rural Traffic

DSC03708.jpg

Ceausecu Highway

DSC03798.jpg

WWF have ongoing projects in Romania

DSC03968.jpg

End of this particular road

DSC03957.jpg

Mining in Romania

DSC03880.jpg

Romania and the other Eastern European countries are well worth a visit if you want a slightly different country in your Land Rover.

Regards

Leeds

Hi Paul, when I was in Romania it was outside the normal camping season there. The Lonely Planet guide does not give good reviews to Romanian camp sites. Security appeared to be an issue and improper attention from some of the camp site staff :P

I camped once at the Darwin Initiative HQ. Otherwise it was small hotels at about £10-£15 per night. Breakfast extra.

Some more piccies

DSC03738.jpg

Typical road

DSC03741.jpg

Locals at work

DSC03742.jpg

My 110

DSC03744.jpg

Described by locals as a bad road!

DSC03750.jpg

Described by locals as a good road!!

DSC03765.jpg

On coming traffic!

DSC03798-1.jpg

Dictators highway

Regards

Leeds

Great photos! And by the way your truck looks great.

What do you mean about the improper attention?

Paul

Thanks Paul

Improper attention??? Let's just say that I would get more then my wrist slapped. When stopping in the small villages the locals could be helpful with directions. Stopped once to check directions on leaving a large town. Got approached by this errrrr female. Covered in amateurish tattoos and small brusies. Could'nt understand a word she said until she said SEX! Let's face it a dose of the clap would have been a minor concern looking at the other possibilities!!

Regards

Leeds

PS 110 getting some further mods ready for the next trip

Where are you going next?

Asturias - Northern Spain.

Ferry is booked and we escape as soon as I break up for Christmas. Got a few contacts for off roading in that neck of the woods via the Spanish Land Rover Club forum. We shall be going to stay with friends in Oviedo but getting out into the countryside as much as possible. The people on the Spanish Land Rover forum have been very helpful, it's a shame they don't have an English language section like the Swedish one, we are fortunate that I speak it. Though I have had to learn some new vocabulary ;) in both English and Spanish. Some how thingy, doobry firkin and the Spanish equivalent don't always do. :D

Barbara

Leeds is in the kitchen on teamaking duty!

Ferry is booked and we escape as soon as I break up for Christmas. Got a few contacts for off roading in that neck of the woods via the Spanish Land Rover Club forum. We shall be going to stay with friends in Oviedo but getting out into the countryside as much as possible. The people on the Spanish Land Rover forum have been very helpful, it's a shame they don't have an English language section like the Swedish one, we are fortunate that I speak it. Though I have had to learn some new vocabulary ;) in both English and Spanish. Some how thingy, doobry firkin and the Spanish equivalent don't always do. :D

Barbara

See what happens when you leave your pc for a few minutes :P

2007, midnight sun, Norwegian national, Swedish 20th and thenhead down towards Hugary d Romania.

Regards

Leed

PS Maybe we should get this thread renamed?/ LOL

Barbara

Barbara, have a great time, sounds like fun. Cheers, Paul

See what happens when you leave your pc for a few minutes :P

2007, midnight sun, Norwegian national, Swedish 20th and thenhead down towards Hugary d Romania.

Regards

Leed

PS Maybe we should get this thread renamed?/ LOL

That is a big trip. How long will it take you? Will you be going to a different area of Romania this time?

Cheers, Paul

That is a big trip. How long will it take you? Will you be going to a different area of Romania this time?

Cheers, Paul

That trip will probbly be split into two. The midnight sun/Arctic circle/Nord Kapp will be May/June time. The Swedish 20th is in August so am hoping to leave the 110 in Sweden with a mod on another foum. Fly back to Sweden to collect it July/August, attend the Scandiavian events then head down towards Eastern Europe. That section will be 2/3 months

Note how plans are set in stone?? :P

What part of Romania will you be based in? When do yo think you will be settled there?

Regards

Leeds

That trip will probbly be split into two. The midnight sun/Arctic circle/Nord Kapp will be May/June time. The Swedish 20th is in August so am hoping to leave the 110 in Sweden with a mod on another foum. Fly back to Sweden to collect it July/August, attend the Scandiavian events then head down towards Eastern Europe. That section will be 2/3 months

Note how plans are set in stone?? :P

What part of Romania will you be based in? When do yo think you will be settled there?

Regards

Leeds

Kezdi-Szentlelek (Sanzieni) is where I have my land. A village close to Targu Secuiesc in Jud Covasna. For map purposes refer to the name in brackets which is the Romanian spelling, the former being the Hungarian version. Predominantly Hungarian population in that area. I am aiming at starting the business within the next twelve months. Just setting up web site at the moment, which is fun when you consider how cr*p I am with IT. The most important thing is that I get out there and research the routes, which I hope to do next spring.

How do you get 2/3 months off work? You must have a dream employer, that lets you go for such long periods.

Cheers,

Paul.

Kezdi-Szentlelek (Sanzieni) is where I have my land. A village close to Targu Secuiesc in Jud Covasna. For map purposes refer to the name in brackets which is the Romanian spelling, the former being the Hungarian version. Predominantly Hungarian population in that area. I am aiming at starting the business within the next twelve months. Just setting up web site at the moment, which is fun when you consider how cr*p I am with IT. The most important thing is that I get out there and research the routes, which I hope to do next spring.

How do you get 2/3 months off work? You must have a dream employer, that lets you go for such long periods.

Cheers,

Paul.

Will you be in Romania in Sept/Oct 07?

Keep us all informed about your research. Do you need any help?

As for employers, that is on a need to know basis. You don't need to know. IF I told you I would have to KILL you. LOL :P

Regards

Leeds

As for employers, that is on a need to know basis. You don't need to know. IF I told you I would have to KILL you. LOL :P

I know, I know, I can be bribed with either red wine or expensive chocolates :D

Only trouble is I don't get quite so generous hols being a teacher, I have to settle for school hols, so I generally spend the first day of each holiday at airports flying out to catch up with him. Tho this Christmas we are actually leaving and coming back together - we haven't done that for a couple of years. LOL

Barbara

PS Didn't bother waiting for him to disappear to make a cuppa this time actually signed in on my own.

Will you be in Romania in Sept/Oct 07?

Keep us all informed about your research. Do you need any help?

Regards

Leeds

Yes, I will keep you up to speed. There is a good chance I will be there in September, and any help at all would be welcomed. It will be important to put together trips that are balanced with driving and interesting sites and things to do. What may be interesting to me may not be so to others. If you are in the area you could try them out, or help me put together some from your previous experiences.

One of my most memorable trips was a long drive into the mountains with a local friend that I worked with. We met up with a ranger, and carried on into the forest by foot. We sat in a little wooden hut and waited for bears to venture from the forest at dusk into a meadow. It was the first time I had seen a bear in the wild and really was one of the most memorable events in my life. These are the sort of trips I would like to plan for others.

Cheers, Paul.

I know, I know, I can be bribed with either red wine or expensive chocolates :D

Only trouble is I don't get quite so generous hols being a teacher, I have to settle for school hols, so I generally spend the first day of each holiday at airports flying out to catch up with him. Tho this Christmas we are actually leaving and coming back together - we haven't done that for a couple of years. LOL

Barbara

PS Didn't bother waiting for him to disappear to make a cuppa this time actually signed in on my own.

Thanks Barbara,

Sounds like a great life to me!

This is my first year with the LR. Before I used to travel all over on hiking trips, so thought I would combine that with my other passion for LR's. It will be nice to carry my extended camping kit, and take my dog along as well. I always used to fly which meant leaving him behind. I spent most of my hikes thinking how much Mr Garspar would have enjoyed this path etc.

DSC03971.jpg

Yes, I will keep you up to speed. There is a good chance I will be there in September, and any help at all would be welcomed. It will be important to put together trips that are balanced with driving and interesting sites and things to do. What may be interesting to me may not be so to others. If you are in the area you could try them out, or help me put together some from your previous experiences.

One of my most memorable trips was a long drive into the mountains with a local friend that I worked with. We met up with a ranger, and carried on into the forest by foot. We sat in a little wooden hut and waited for bears to venture from the forest at dusk into a meadow. It was the first time I had seen a bear in the wild and really was one of the most memorable events in my life. These are the sort of trips I would like to plan for others.

Cheers, Paul.

Yes but she pinched my laptop to do it. [tongue]

Wait for the excuses to come now!!

The only place I have seen bears in the wild is in the Rockies in BC Canada. Fascinating creatures. Need to give them lots of respect.

Keep us up to speed about when you intend doing recces etc.

Regards

Leeds

Yes but she pinched my laptop to do it. [tongue]

Wait for the excuses to come now!!

The only place I have seen bears in the wild is in the Rockies in BC Canada. Fascinating creatures. Need to give them lots of respect.

Keep us up to speed about when you intend doing recces etc.

Regards

Leeds

No problem, I will keep you posted.

You are right about respecting the bears. Looked after two shepherds at my time at the local hospital after being mauled by bears. Keep a big distance when they have cubs! They don't have the best eye sight, so clap every 200 meters when walking along forest trails. When they hear this they leave the path and into the forest. Most of the time they prefer to avoid trouble.

Paul

No problem, I will keep you posted.

You are right about respecting the bears. Looked after two shepherds at my time at the local hospital after being mauled by bears. Keep a big distance when they have cubs! They don't have the best eye sight, so clap every 200 meters when walking along forest trails. When they hear this they leave the path and into the forest. Most of the time they prefer to avoid trouble.

Paul

Bears with cubs are dangerous to put it mildly. In BC the advice was to have a bell on your rucksack which tinkled with every step that you took. The rangers there had problems with campsites and bears as the bears found ready supplies of food there. Sometimes they had to relocate the bears and in extrme circumstances had to kll the bears to protect people.. That was a sad situation.

Animals can become dependent on walkers for food which can cause difficulties for the animals concerned.

Regards

Leeds

Bears with cubs are dangerous to put it mildly. In BC the advice was to have a bell on your rucksack which tinkled with every step that you took. The rangers there had problems with campsites and bears as the bears found ready supplies of food there. Sometimes they had to relocate the bears and in extrme circumstances had to kll the bears to protect people.. That was a sad situation.

Animals can become dependent on walkers for food which can cause difficulties for the animals concerned.

Regards

Leeds

Your right there. One of my favourite places near Targu Secuiesc is a dormant volcano, now a lake called St Anna's. A great place to spend a day, but the ranger insists that everybody moves on by 7pm as the bears come down to drink. There is a campsite up at the rim with a fence round it. The ranger also has his house next to this and has some heavy duty pack dogs. So you get plenty of warning if pooh is around! Unfortunately, a loan German hiker approached the lake from the other side about 10-12 years ago. Pitched his tent right next to the lake, and the rest is pretty unsavoury. He is not around to tell the tale himself.

Paul.