Rear door to rear cab wall

I'm modifying my 200tdi disco to give it a flat bed back after huge amounts of rot set in over the last year or so .

I want to use the rear door to make the back of the cab but since the door has an aluminium shell I am not entirely sure I can do that, so...

Does anyone know how to remove the glass from a disco rear door safely. Is it possible to do it without destroying the seal?

My back up idea is to build the back of the cab with sheet steel (probably lighter than the whole rear door anyway) cut an aperture for the glass and fit the existing glass into the new section.

I know it would be easier, and acceptable for road use, to have no glass at all but I live out in the wilds and do a lot of reversing with trailers so it's considerably easier with a rear window.

and just in case anyone asks I am taking pictures of what I'm doing so if it works out I can post them up here

Tal

Best thing to do is forget the idea of using the ddor. It will make so much extra work it is never worth it. Do what Muddy (and I) did and build a frame out of 20mm box and sheet it in and use a window of your choice. I used the side windo from the rear of a 90 station wagen

post-1427-0-86801900-1468177709_thumb.jpg

post-1427-0-46796800-1468177739_thumb.jpg

thats awesome guys thanks

your builds look amazing...I hope mine looks that good when I'm done.

I pretty much decided against the back door idea today because i couldn't work out a way of making it waterproof or particularly strong.

I like the box framing idea very much and i think I can get a nice finish on the back edge too.

I've cut the back off and removed the back passenger doors already so I'll post some pictures once I get started welding and let you see how it goes.

Tal