Cam Belt Change- Disco 1

POSBORNE

I have a 1991, H reg, 200tdi Disco 1. Its standard, and completed about 220,000miles.It has Air-con that doesnt work due to the belt snapping 18months ago. I bought this vehicle with little or no service history with it, about 3 years ago, and has just past another MOT.

I have got to assume that the cambelt requires changing along with the water pump. I understand MM4X4 do a Cam belt kit at resonable price etc. but is a long time consuming job to do, or is it fairly straight forward job to do?

While competing these things, is there any other things that require doing while the front end is off?

thanks

I've only ever done the one cam belt and on the Defender. However the process was not too bad.

The main issue for the disco is going to be access, as it is the first time doing it may be better to consider removing the rad to get better access to everything, the defender had so much space I just didn't need to do that.

I'd allow about a day of methodical effort, you may come in at 1/2 a day if it all goes well. Running very much off memory

Remove rad - about 1/2 hr

Remove belts etc 1/2 hr

Remove pulleys 1/2 hr - the crank can be a pain, mine wasn't too bad, cracked off the starter with no fuss.

remove cover 1/2 hr - take this bit easy, as a broken bolt here will be a real PITA, soak them, wiggle them, you never know how easy or hard that is going to be.

Set timing 1/2 hr - need to make sure you are V happy about this, basically you lock off the flywheel and injection pump. Clean all the sprokets in case you want to make some extra tipex marks to ensure you get the timing right, FIP and crank are easy, but the cam needs to have visible marks.

put new belt on 1hr - I took ages, on - tension, turn by hand, re-tension, not happy, turn, re-tension. go away have coffee, come back, re-tension etc. You will need at LEAST a torque wrench for this, the trick is that the timing belt is not tension driven, so you are not aiming for a tightness like the alt belt, but to take out the slack.

** You can run the engine up at this point for a SHORT check, but the water pump will not be there, this allows you to make sure the belt is not too tight and that everything seems OK before putting the whole lot back together. **

Cover back on 1/2 hr - can be a PITA getting gaskets to play ball, but it was cold and windy when I did mine...

pulley and crank back on 1hr, fiddly job and you need to really tension the crank - might need an assistant

rad back on 1/2 hr

Les H will have a tech archive post, but having done so many he probably approaches it with a more laid back attitude than your first one. Quite satisfying when you have done it though, and really removes the fear from doing it again.

yeh simple and straight forward a little time consuming but not a hard job best thing to do is remove the rad for better access foundry 4x4 do a timing belt and tensioner kit including gaskets and seals that you will need all in delivered to your home £38.

This thread is the replacement of the timing belt etc on a 200TDi Defender. The only difference between the two is that the Disco has an idler wheel as well, which is fairly evident when you take the timing cover off.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14285

Timing setting, etc is the same for both vehicles.

If there's engine oil inside the casing, then the crank front seal and/or the camshaft seal will need replacing as well. I would recommend you use genuine seals - some after-market ones are rubbish and if they fail - you will have to take it all apart again and if oil has got on the belt - replace that again.

Les.