11 replies to this topic

#1 Scropton Man

Scropton Man

• New Faces
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

I spoke too soon!!!!!!!!
I love my 3month old Freelander2 until yesterday!

I suspect I have problems with the electrics/computors, milage 3000
Navigator problems, making mistakes and unable to set POI
MPG showing car is doing 80 mpg(if only)
Stop/Start system, when stopped engine not cutting out
Wiper sensor not operating correctly
Lights set on Auto but this not happening
I have booked the car in on Jan.18th, they want it for at least 2days, I am having a loan Freelander whilst car being sorted
Any one had these problems?
David in Derbyshire

#2 Dorsetfreelander

Dorsetfreelander

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

Sounds like an earthing or connector problem, luckily none of these problems have resulted in the vehicle being immobilised. I think cars are getting too complex and reliant on electronics these days. We had a visitor's VW toureg fail to start at work one evening, everything (lights, radio etc) worked except the starter was inoperable. The advice from a VW dealer was to disconnect the battery for ten seconds and let the system reboot. Sure enough it worked!

Did you know that you can still buy (new) old style defenders without electronics? They won't pass UK emission tests but they are the only ones that sell in Africa.

#3 LR NUT

LR NUT

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

Sounds like an earthing or connector problem, luckily none of these problems have resulted in the vehicle being immobilised. I think cars are getting too complex and reliant on electronics these days. We had a visitor's VW toureg fail to start at work one evening, everything (lights, radio etc) worked except the starter was inoperable. The advice from a VW dealer was to disconnect the battery for ten seconds and let the system reboot. Sure enough it worked!

Did you know that you can still buy (new) old style defenders without electronics? They won't pass UK emission tests but they are the only ones that sell in Africa.

How old is the new model? (engine and shape wise, without the hump in the bonnet?)
Disco 2, V8 RIP Rolled & Ditched
Disco 2, Td5
Freelander 1, Td4

#4 LR NUT

LR NUT

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

[quote name='Scropton Man' date='09 January 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1263031323' post='461741']
I spoke too soon!!!!!!!!

I have booked the car in on Jan.18th, they want it for at least 2days, I am having a loan Freelander whilst car being sorted
David in Derbyshire

Mate had a problem with the auto lights he said LR had found that the cable connector (worth 49p) had broke some how, so it would have been a a real cheap fix if his car was out of warranty, his one is a 09 TD4 but but not the TD4e
Disco 2, Td5
Freelander 1, Td4

#5 Scropton Man

Scropton Man

• New Faces
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

How old is the new model? (engine and shape wise, without the hump in the bonnet?)

Only 3 months old, done 3000 miles
David in Derbyshire

#6 LR NUT

LR NUT

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

Only 3 months old, done 3000 miles
David in Derbyshire

Lol that question was for dorsetfreelander regarding the defender! I read in your first post that your freebie is 3 months old and has covered 3,000 miles
Disco 2, Td5
Freelander 1, Td4

#7 Scropton Man

Scropton Man

• New Faces
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

Lol that question was for dorsetfreelander regarding the defender! I read in your first post that your freebie is 3 months old and has covered 3,000 miles

Sorry, "senior moment" :rolleyes:

#8 viorelluta

viorelluta

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:16 AM

I think that the problems described are too different to have a common cause, except the ECU which seems to do many things wrong, in the same time.
It is either a bad connection/earthing problem, or the car's computer needs a reset.
You're under warranty, otherwise I would also suggest to disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
Keep us informed!

I spoke too soon!!!!!!!!

David in Derbyshire

#9 Scropton Man

Scropton Man

• New Faces
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

I think that the problems described are too different to have a common cause, except the ECU which seems to do many things wrong, in the same time.
It is either a bad connection/earthing problem, or the car's computer needs a reset.
You're under warranty, otherwise I would also suggest to disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
Keep us informed!

Will Do
David in Derbyshire

#10 viorelluta

viorelluta

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

Will Do
David in Derbyshire

have you got a diagnostic (or hopefully a solution) yet?

#11 viorelluta

viorelluta

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

have you got a diagnostic (or hopefully a solution) yet?

so?

#12 BogMonster

BogMonster

Old Hand

• Moderators
  • 11,831 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

Only old stock ones now - they aren't still building them, stopped a couple of years back. I have a 2006 model year 110SW with a 300Tdi, fairly late in the production run, no electronics, alarm/immobiliser, nothing. Sadly no longer built :(
2002 Discovery II 4.0 V8 auto • 2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users