Boost gauge plumbing

jmattley

I'm quite fancying a boost gauge (200tdi), and I'm aware you can just stick a T-piece in in next to the waste gate actuator, but I was thinking it may be more accurate if it's right next to the inlet manifold. Anyone done this or does it make no difference?

Cheers!!!

I'm quite fancying a boost gauge (200tdi), and I'm aware you can just stick a T-piece in in next to the waste gate actuator, but I was thinking it may be more accurate if it's right next to the inlet manifold. Anyone done this or does it make no difference?

Cheers!!!

You are right there is a few psi difference between before and after the intercooler, and its far more accurate on the inlet manifold.

You can do what I did and drill and tap the inlet manifold just after where the rubble pipe from the intercooler is fitted.

It can be done if your careful with the inlet still on the engine by using a vacuum cleaning pushed into the inlet to collect all the little bits.

Then just install a brass fitting and run the pipe to you boost gauge.

It depends if this accuracy is needed on your case or not. I'd say not.

Measuring at the turbo level you have values to compare to. This is where the workshop manual gives you a refference and where most people (that altered or not their turbo westagte setting) have installed their T piece.

Will the values at the inlet manifold tell you something more useful? If yes then fit it there. But if not (and this my oppinion), why bother?

When i fitted the one to mine I fitted it to the pipe that goes from the turbo to the fuel pump, its a similar size to the one needed to go to the gauge so a simple T-peice does the job nicely. Its also the correct side of the car to go into the cab. Its on a 300tdi but i'm sure the 200's will have a very similar set up. Just another idea that may be easier than plumbing into the wastegate.

Cheers for the advice, I'll have a bit of a look round and work out where to plumb it in that case. What do people here reckon to tim boost gauges? Tim are quite a good make aren't they? Anyone had any experience with their stuff? They're also quite cheap on eBay!

I only have 1 extra gauge so just got a normal dash pod. Switches are mounted elsewhere. 1 bar will be fine, they boost to 0.8-0.9bar. If you're going to tweak it perhaps go for 1.5 bar. Tim are supposed to be good, they are really popular and I haven't heard anything bad about them :)