TD5 starting problem

Escape

Having tried all I can think of, I hope to get some good advice here to help a friend solve a bad and worsening starting problem:

Car is a 2003 Defender 90 TD5, with about 200k km on it.

Since some time, it's having irregular starting problems. Both cold and hot, but only every now and then. We have already replaced (for new or known good items) the following:µ

- glowplugs

- injector washers and O-rings

- injector wiring loom (some oil in the cables, cleaned thoroughly)

- fuel pressure regulator (because of a small leak)

- fuel pump (unnecessary, but done by a garage :( )

- fuel filter, airbleed valve and injector filter (behind the FPR)

- checked tank for sludge

- CKP (swapped from mine)

- MAF (swapped from mine)

- ECU (swapped from mine)

- temperature sensor (swapped from mine)

- no fault codes present

Early this year the problems disappeared for a while, after getting stuck nose down in a ditch. Lately, they have returned worse then ever. Not only is the car hard to start at times, it will also tend to stall at idle, typically after about 20 min of driving. Throttle respons and power are good otherwise. It seems to be starving for fuel at times, but only at idle or when starting.

Is there anything else to check or try before I swap the injectors?

Thanks,

Filip

Having major starting issues on mine at the moment, but mines sucking air from somewhere. have you checked the starter motor? evidently the starter can cause issues to starting and fuelling because the earth path runs through it to the ecu for the injectors! they (starter motors) can apparantly arc inside sending random signals to the ecu.

steve

As said, we already swapped the CP sensor, no change in the 'bad' car, and mine is none the worse for it either.

Last thing we tried was swapping the accelerator pedal, no change.

What's puzzling me the most, you can almost set your watch to it: have it in the Shop, change something, clean something or just look at it long enough and will start fine. But after exactly 20 min it will stall and refuse to restart...

• 3 weeks later...

Update, we got the running and (touching wood) it seems to keep running this time.

We swapped the injectors, inertia switch, fuel filter housing, blew through all the fuel lines and added 2 cans of diesel injector cleaner. After a bit of hesitation it started, and has been running weel and restarting reasonably ever since.

Strange thing is, we swapped most of the components with my own Defender, and (once I remembered was told to reconnect the CKP) that also starts and runs fine.

Important thing is we seem to have solved it, but still curious about the exact cause...

Filip