3.9 V8 Defender won't start after long time sitting

Hi,

Right before a long deployment my alternator crapped out. I had to go before I could before replace the alternator so unfortunately it has been sitting for a while. Fast forward many months and I am back at home, have replace the alternator and charged the battery but now the engine won't start. Any thoughts? What should my next step be?

Condensation in the cap? Squirt of wd40 sometimes helps

Don't recommend anyone to try (you decide what works for you we are all big boys and responsible )this but this is what we use to do(bush mechanic tactic). Rag with a bit of petrol on it placed over the intake before the airflow meter but after or without the air filter. And someone to crank the starter

Pulls the petrol vapour into the cylinders. Once it fires remove rag

Cheap alternative to easy start. Each to there own. If you're in the middle of nowhere it may help you out

Like I said start with the basics before the easy start tactics

Cheap alternative to a volt meter for testing stuff was a 12v automotive lamp soldered to a length of wire then you can bridge it from stuff life distributors or starter motors or fuel pump leads to ground and if it lights you know it's got power if not then it ain't

Does it have an immobiliser, check for voltage at the distributor?

Do you have spark?

Do you have fuel to the injectors?

Can you hear a fuel pump?

Suggest start with the basics. Give us a clue what you've tried.

No immobiliser.

I just checked if I had spark with a spare plug and I do.

No condensation in the cap.

I going to check if there is fuel to injector now. What is the right way to do this?

I'll go listen for the fuel pump.

The engine turns over but does not fire. No codes on the ECU.

I would first listen for a pump noise then try to crack open a fuel line joint near the injector rail with the key in the normal engine run position

Note this is just for a quick burst to see what we have pressure wise without resorting to gauges and filling buckets and timing stuff etc. usual disclaimers apply with petrol in an engine bay but it is a cold engine without hot exhaust manifolds so you should be fine

Provided you've not done anything to the engine then if it's got fuel spark and compression it should start

Old fuel can loose some of its vapour and be less volitile but that's unlikely after a few months so it may be a case of turning it over a few times and it should start

It's unlikely if it worked fine before but the rotor arms can pack up and give odd spark and miss fire

If you've had the distributor off or cap off its a case of making sure it goes back right and in the case of the cap clicks into the alignment grooves

If you've had the plug leads off checking that 3 and 5 are in the right place (think they are more likely to mid up than 2 and 4) given they are similar length (I had an engine running with 3 &5 swapped, it ran but under load did it have a bad miss fire had me baffled for a while never again though)

Did you take anything else off when changing the alternator?

Only got 2 wires to the alternator has it not so can't mix them up plus it should not stop it from running if the energise feed was not connected

Not on gas is it?