Bearing noise untill clutch depressed

Hi All

On starting up my 1995 300tdi defender, i have a bearing rumble, that seems to disapear when the clutch is pressed down. It also does it when the engine is warm, but not half as bad, not really as noticable. I can some times silence the noise by giving the clutch pedal a quick flick, and then the noise will disapear even when foot is off the pedal.

It sounds like a loose/worn bearing, maybe a rattle sometimes.

I thought it was the clutch release bearing, however ive recently been told that clutch release bearings make a noise when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Has anyone got any ideas? And how long before i can expect failure of said part (granted its how long is a piece of string) roughly ofcourse!

Many thanks

The symptoms you describe sounds like it is the first motion shaft bearings in the gearbox. They can be noisy for a long time before anything self destructs.

Thanks mate. Is that gearbox recon for that to be rectified? Atleast i know its nothing urgent. How come when the clutch is slightly depressed it goes away?

Could it not be play in the release bearing?

When a gearbox is in neutral and the engine running, the first motion shaft goes round, as the clutch is transmitting drive. Since you are not in gear the truck doesn't go anywhere.

As you depress the clutch pedal, the shaft stops moving to enable a gear to be engaged, hence the noise stops. The bearing noise will resume as you drive off, but you won't hear it over all the other Landrover noises, i.e. revving engine, exhaust, the rest of the gearbox symphony (or should that be cacophony), it all joins in. Kinda the same effect as turning the stereo up to drown out kids ;)

The release bearing is only doing any work when your foot in ON the clutch pedal.

In answer to your question, yes it is a box apart job to replace the bearing - but within the scope of a DIYer, depending on levels of spanner skill you posses.

I used to get a rattle stopped after I replaced the clutch and spigot bearing, if you read up on the gearbox, they where prone to "chattering" when idle and out of gear, nothing wrong with it, just a "characteristic"... worth looking into it...

I used to get a rattle stopped after I replaced the clutch and spigot bearing, if you read up on the gearbox, they where prone to "chattering" when idle and out of gear, nothing wrong with it, just a "characteristic"... worth looking into it...

Thanks Mickeyw for your informative help.

And thanks too maverick, where would i start looking mate? I thought high biting point was a sign of worn clutch, but by the sounds of it, its not the release bearing, and the clutch can bite high sometimes.