Free lander speed in 1st gear

gav-

Hello, 

I don't own a freelancer at the moment but I wondered what the lowest speed is in 1st gear? 

I suppose I am interested in how low range is the freelander when compared to a defender 

could you let me know what the lowest speed is with standard size tyres, thanks 

There is no low range in a Freelander - I have offroaded my L series manual and 1st gear is much much much higher than first low in something like a Defender.  If you have to go  uphill over rough ground you will have troubles - you need to go fast and not stop and risk damage - if you stop on a steep hill and have to climb rocks you will just burn out the clutch.  The autos like some TD4s are better because you get the torque amplification effect but still not good.

If you are familiar with a Defender then the gearing of a Freelander will be similar to a Defender stuck in high range - so putting ground clearance aside, if a Defender can climb something in hi range so will a Freelander.

Garry

• Like 1

As above, FL does not have low range, it just has a lower than usual 1st gear. You have to drive very differently, and you generally can't crawl up stuff as you would in a truck with low box. For hills and sticky bits you have to have a bit more of a run-up and carry some momentum, obviously taking care not to charge into something damaging. You can always slip the clutch but obviously that's not ideal.

Likewise hill descents you're reliant on the (incredibly effective) HDC to slow you down. Takes some getting used to as it goes a bit faster than most people would be going in low 2nd or 1st, but it keeps you in control amazingly well.

With a half decent set of tyres and a bit of adjustment of driving style you'll get a freelander most of the places you'd get a stock Defender. Only extreme ruts, slopes, and breakovers will stop you but most of the time you can adjust your approach and arrive at the same end via a slightly different route.