Megasquirt Options

jsstevo

Inlet temp sensor?

Unipart AT1010 : £4.32

The thread is M14 x 1.5 (Metric fine) .................. I can turn up a boss is you need it ...............or you can borrow the Tap................

The Narrow band needs to be in all the time.................. I use the unipart universal 4 wire GTM7003 (£42.60)............ these are sealed really well and mine has been submerged many times with no ill effects.

:)

Ian

Update - Been to see Rog and very impressed with the MS/EDIS8 setup. Looks like it will be great for us, but still feel we need to learn lots about the system first. If we have any problems we need to be able to fix them / have a redundant system available.

We thought about going for MS/EDIS8 straight away and having the Dizzy still available should we need it, but now have learnt that as soon as we get the mod on the MS unit to work with EDIS8 we can no longer go back to the Dizzy. Therefore we think we need to start off with fuel only still.

The bit on our motor that we really need at the moment is the Fuel as there is no Standard part for a 4.6 CUX. We have a standard part for the Spark - the Dizzy. It might not be the best solution but we know how to fix / replace it should it fail.

We can then start looking at the Spark setup after we are up and running and if we have time before Round 1. If not, then we need to fit it in in-between Rounds.

I've downloaded a fuel map that FridgeFreezer posted for a 4.6 V8 with nice cam, which should be close to ours. If we can get it running on Fuel only at 80/90% performance but not under fuelling then it must be close to how it performed on a 3.9 14CUX! And much better than 2 SU's!

Like I said at the top, a 14 CUX for a 4.6 doesn't exist as standard. We've gone the MS route because of this and rather than the Mark Adams / MBE route due to the cost and the extra facilities the MS can give us but we need to learn.

Will update as we progress!

Cheers!

Hmmmm

You take more convincing than I did - and thats saying something !!

In the nicest possible way - I think this would be a big mistake on your part :(

If you think about it there is less to go wrong than with the std dizzy system

Megasquirt (ign side)

• VR Sensor - carry a spare but I gather they hardly ever fail being a sort of magnet thingy :rolleyes:
  • Trigger wheel - mines 6mm plate so unlikely to fail :lol:
  • Ford 2x Coil Packs - carry a spare
  • and the ECU :huh:

Before everyone says ah yes but if the ECU Fails :blink:

• carry a fully programmed matched and tested spare
  • Oh, and if the MS fails what do you think is controlling your Fuelling :lol: ?

Dizzy Std

• Dizzy
  • cap
  • rotor arm
  • optical sensor
  • Ignition Amp

All of which often fail and can be a PITA to replace

If you haven't already read my thread re the MS fitment, its nice and simple - bit like me (erm except the nice bit :P) and will give you insight and understanding

The other reason either system can often fail is wiring and connectors, and it you look at some of the dreadfull connections and connectors in the EFI Lucarse system they are truly horrible - so attention to earths, joins (or no joins even better) well crimped decent waterproof plugs etc will make a huge difference to relaibility

Doing the conversion in stages may mean that you have to hack into looms and join bits etc, if you just do it in one go it can be an nicer (and poss easier) job.

Belive me - I ran Megajolt and also had the dizzy so I could switch over if it failed etc, when I had problems it was not the megajolt - it was the damned lucas fuelling side and loom !

GO FOR IT IN ONE GO have some faith :huh:

(and carry a few spares :lol:)

Nige

GO FOR IT IN ONE GO have some faith :huh:

Nige

Exactly, guys just do it, as we mulled over more than once, it is exponentially more reliable than a dizzy.

Without misfires etc, it works or it doesnt, regarding diagnostics - the laptop WILL tell you with flashing lights - no replacement suck it and see. All it takes is to read the manual a couple of times, I dont understand electronics, but the beauty of MS is you dont need to know, just the fundementals of the system and software.

All of us have done this, trust us, I understand to your desire to retain the National Championship title, but in the same vein, I dont want to break down in the middle of a quagmire or lake, FridgeFreezer goes to Russia in his, he doesnt want to break down there! Etc etc. We all want (and have) reliability, in short, you dont with a dizzy, from mechanicals to damp!

Ms Users - please feel free to use this:

post-400-1200757018_thumb.jpg

BTW - Wheres TomG?