Rover V8 waterproofing

Hi all,

Right, going out this weekend coming and now its all wet, my v8 needs to be a little more water resistant. It was having a problem that down on the passenger side wing there seemed to be something there that as soon as there was a drop of water the engine would cut out instantly, like someone had turned off the key. Now, I think that it was a connector on an electrical box on the air-flow meter bracket, which seemed to be letting in water. (Not to technical here now!) However, because when I fitted the gwyn lewis challenge kit the trurret stuck up too much, fouling on the air-flow meter, so I moved the air-flow meter to face straight at the side on the bonnet (exactly how devon's 110 trayback is) so now this has been moved and covered up, it should be out of the water a little more, also a little pointer, the throttle responce has increased slightly as it is less restrictive, which is rather nice. The coil has got a rubber hat on it so that has been waterproofed and the dizzy has loads on silocone on it and it no problem at all. Just need a little info on what else I can do?

Oh, and just to point out, I don't drive through water that is any deeper than 2ft really as I don't have a snorkel, its the shallower stuff and puddles that seem to be the problem when it splashes up.

Cheers Rhys

Especially that - everything else is just p*ssing about quite frankly, you can improve it but will never make it waterproof compared to the EDIS setup.

Mind you, if you've got no snorkel and never drive through anything deep it shouldn't be having problems as long as you've got genuine ignition parts and nothing stupidly exposed. My dad can get his RR EFI at least 2ft deep without too much hassle and it's bone stock.

Especially that - everything else is just p*ssing about quite frankly, you can improve it but will never make it waterproof compared to the EDIS setup.

Mind you, if you've got no snorkel and never drive through anything deep it shouldn't be having problems as long as you've got genuine ignition parts and nothing stupidly exposed. My dad can get his RR EFI at least 2ft deep without too much hassle and it's bone stock.

When doing a little more waterproofing to it the other day (putting silocone around all live connections) I noticed that the ht leads were triple silocone. So they are not standard but will they still work fine, or better?

Unless they're Bosch or Lucas you're probably better off buying a genuine set, it's only about £20. Unless you raise the bar and stump up for Magnecor it's really not worth faffing about, most of the rest are brightly coloured tat to attract boy racers.