Auto problems

88 Nick

Whilst servicing and "tinkering "today I thought I would adjust up the kick down cable,well,it seems I over did it,the cable has come adrift at the gearbox end,worse still it wont change down from first now.

I fitted this box about a year ago and it was second hand ,I remember having to conect the cable into the box at the time and it was very tricky,even with the box on its side and the sump off.I also remember that if you rotated the cam that the cable wraps around fully it would stick in position wich made conecting the cable easier. I suspect the cam is in this stuck position now wich is why it wont change down.

Has anybody got an idea how to "free off" the cam,I would then live without kick down till next time the box has to come out.

PS Its in a hybrid challenge truck,the gear box cross member isnt removable and is in the way of taking off the sump. :(

Any way you look at it I recon Im in for a world of pain!

Is this a reply to a different post? Dur.

Chris

not clued up on autos sorry.... only mess with 200tdi manuals...... would assume kick down cable goes from pedal to gearbox?? if detatched in gearbox should in theory be able to be pulled out so is only connected to pedal...... probably wrong and will definately be corrected by someone on here!!!! just seemed logical to me!!............awaiting backlash!!!

cant you just yank the bugger out? if its detatched inside the gearbox you should in theory be able to yank it out...

Yep I can pull the cable out of the box but the kick down mechanism is still stuck "open" for want of a better description.

I've been messing with mine since I fitted an auto box the other week................................think I should leave well alone then :unsure:

Hi is there any tension on the cable at all or has it completely flipped off the cam??. If it is off the cam you must fix it asap, the 'kickdown cable' also sets the clutch pack pressure. If you run with the cable dis-connected the clutch pack pressure will be set to minimum resulting in a burn out. The reason for the brass crimp on the cable inner is to stop the cable running back into the box and flipping off the cam, so be sure when you have fixed it to set the crimp.

It is very difficult/impossible to re-fit the cable with the valve body in situe, if you do remove the valve body first mark the location front/back as the correct position is critical. Only remove the M6 bolts, ie the ones with the larger heads. DO NOT REMOVE ANY M5 BOLT.

When re-fitted it is possible to move the change points a little, start point is to set the cable so you get 'forced- kickdown' as the throttle presses into the carpet. Then loosen the cable to shift earlier or tighten to shift later, no more than 2 or 3 mm each way.

Good luck

Ian Ashcroft