Fuel stop solenoid.....

Josh

Hi all,

Basically, I went to start my 98 300tdi discovery yesterday and the engine turned but didnt fire up. The battery was fine and to make sure i tried jumping it off another car, still no luck. I then checked to see if there was a fueling problem. Fuel was getting from the lift pump to the filter and to the injection pump but wasnt reaching the injectors.

I decided to check the fuel solenoid but was confronted with a metal box surrounding where it should be with 3 wires going into it (anti theft?). I tested the wires with the ignition turned on and 2 had 12v running through and the other must be the earth.

Upon closer inspection there seems to be no way of removing the box with the solenoid in from the pump. Have i missed something or am I barking up the wrong tree :blink: ?

Cheers bogmonster,

Any ideas where to start?

The discovery is a manual by the way. From doing some research online am i right in assuming that only automatic models were fitted with EDC?

Sounds like its got the DDS imobilisation block on it,if you look at its back face there are two shear headed bolts that hold the block onto the pump.When you fit them you tighten till the heads shear off for security.I use some nice little drilling bushes then snap on stud extractors to get them out.All you need to do then is to use the wire that comes live with ignition to go straight onto the stop solenoid.

Sounds like its got the DDS imobilisation block on it

Is that part of EDC or something else? I've not had many dealings with EDC as we never got them here, I know what one looks like and that is about it!

The DDS is a part of the anti theft system and its porpoise is to prevent thieves reaching the fuel shut off solenoid and connect it directly to the battery.

Apart from +12V and ground, it receives a signal from the alarm unit as a result of mobilization/immobilization. By the way, this could be the cause in this case. The signal received from the alarm ECU is available at the OBD diagnostic plug and can be read with the diagnostic equipment.

As for removing the DDS, given it's an anti theft thingy and how to tamper with these things shouldn't normally be described on public forums, I PM-ed BogMonster with a detailed pdf with pics. He's welcome to distribute it to anybody he thinks is entitled to access the information.

This DDS can also be found on late 300 Tdi Defenders, by the way.

The DDS is a part of the anti theft system and its porpoise is to prevent thieves reaching the fuel shut off solenoid and connect it directly to the battery.

Apart from +12V and ground, it receives a signal from the alarm unit as a result of mobilization/immobilization. By the way, this could be the cause in this case. The signal received from the alarm ECU is available at the OBD diagnostic plug and can be read with the diagnostic equipment.

As for removing the DDS, given it's an anti theft thingy and how to tamper with these things shouldn't normally be described on public forums, I PM-ed BogMonster with a detailed pdf with pics. He's welcome to distribute it to anybody he thinks is entitled to access the information.

This DDS can also be found on late 300 Tdi Defenders, by the way.

And a load of other vehicles with VE pumps,it often gets removed as most garages are well aware of the problems it causes.Removing it only loses the immobilisation function,it wont affect any other security kit like alarms,c/locking etc.

• 11 months later...

I removed that unit from my sisters 98 300 Tdi last year . There are 3 wires going into it .

Took me quite a while - but got it done without removing pump etc .

One of the 3 wires becomes live when you switch on the ignition , so I connected that one up to the stop solenoid .

Disco has been fine since .