To buy or not to buy. Thats the question. Which model?

When reading the below please consider I've never owned a LR before and know absolutely nothing! I will be buying a hayes manual though for whichever i get.

If i was off round the world in a 110 or 130 some say buy a 300 series because of the ECU. What other models would i choose or should i just get a spare ECU?

Should i just buy whatever looks like a deal and pray that the locals can fix it when I break it. Loyalty to models aside whats the more sensible thing to do. I know there are some pretty good 130 (300) on sale and actually some new ones floating around. I'm not rich but have a decent budget and could possibly afford a new one but the carnet would kill me.

the older the vehicle you buy the more you can probably expect to have to work on it.

300 is a good sound easy to work on vehicle

td5 is much more refined and works well on the longer journeys for comfort

Puma - better again, quieter and more refined.

The newer they are the less you will need to work on bearings, bushes etc etc certainly to start with.

there are alot of TD5s kicking around now and alot in Africa used by game reserves etc. you an buy diagnostic kit for not alot too.

Off Round the world - as in literally over 3yrs or similar? or just overlanding to Africa for a couple of months?

the older the vehicle you buy the more you can probably expect to have to work on it.

300 is a good sound easy to work on vehicle

td5 is much more refined and works well on the longer journeys for comfort

Puma - better again, quieter and more refined.

The newer they are the less you will need to work on bearings, bushes etc etc certainly to start with.

there are alot of TD5s kicking around now and alot in Africa used by game reserves etc. you an buy diagnostic kit for not alot too.

Off Round the world - as in literally over 3yrs or similar? or just overlanding to Africa for a couple of months?

We're thinking in the year(s) area certainly but this seems to be getting harder and harder due to VED and MOTs and other silly English things. Why can't i just set off and go, damit!

Buy a Toyota Land Cruiser, it's easier in the long run.

Any LR is going to need work so yes you'll want the Haynes Book Of Lies and a decent set of spanners. And spares.

Before you rush out and buy one, get to a local LR club and have a go in a few people's vehicles and try to find people who have done a bit of overlanding and ask them about it. Also compare the experience with other vehicles - TLC or Nissan Patrol, or a bit more spacious Pinzgauer, Volvo C303, Unimog etc.

LR's have character and you have to really want a LR to tolerate them, they're not bad but there are lots of other fish in the sea these days, especially if you're going to the four corners.

• 5 months later...

I bought my 90 300tdi because i wanted the fun of mechanics [i know it sounds mad..] off road experience, a simple motor to tinker on and something to fettle and make better.

i chose one in good mechanical condition but a bit tatty around the edges.

in the 2 1/2 years i have had it it has never let me down and nothing has gone wrong, just service and age related replacements.

it's a '95 with only 75k on it. no real service history and i can only assume the mileage is correct. it drives and pulls very smoothly.

as i said i bought it to enjoy both the mechanic [think hobby] and the complete difference from a normal car/truck.

i would not have bought this one if it was my only car - i would have bought a newer td5, as new as i could afford.

my mileage is fairly low so my 'hack' is a FL1 TD4 auto.

best of both worlds and both were brilliant in the snow....

heed the advice and think long and hard and take your time.

cheers