3,9 zf hp22 auto borgwarner

cj01

Hi gents got the chance of a 3.9 with zf hp 22 and borg warner transfer box from a rr classic.Plan would be galvanise chassis and bulkhead on my 110 fit 3.9 and auto boxwith borg warner transfer box.Not sure how it will run with the borg wartner tranny.will run 33" tyres.Any gentlemen running a borg warner tranny? will be lpg and squirted.green laning and touring is the plan.

cheers chris

Edited by cj01
forgot to add points

You'll probably find it slightly too high geared..... and getting the box to lock up will need about 55 ish mph..... ok for cruising on motorway but not b rds etc....

It'll also use more fuel and heat up the transmission oil as a result..... fitting the 1.4 tbox on my 3..9 made it drive so much nicer....

The better option would be to use 4.1:1 or even 4.71:1 diffs (the latter are Series ratios, the former would be special from Ashcroft or Kam).  That would allow low range to work as intended too, but would need speedo recallibration.

I looked into this in depth, and the idea for that set up would be 4.11 diff's, this brings you back to factory ratio as it would be on the RRC the box came from.

I went the other way and stuck and LT230 in, though I have to say I do like the BW box very much for its simplicity and smoothness.

Hi gents.could I change the ring and pinion in the diffs or would I need to change the complete diffs.Hi Disco Ron what sort of improvement did you notice on fitting the 1.4 tbox.Hi Bowie why did you opt for fitting the lt230 and did you go for the 1.4  tbox?.

Yes you can change ring and pinion, if your diff centre is in good nick, that is the way to go.

I went LT230 at the time as I didn't have funds to go ripping into both axles at the time, and was a quick way to drop ratio. 1.4 makes it drive as if on standard tyres.

Hi Bowie,Thanks for your reply.Im getting confused as to why not fit a 1.2 box from a disco?Ratios and gears fubar me.Thanks again for your input.Looked at ring and pinions and think transfer box is the way to go for me as funds will get eaten up else where but maybe one day thr borg warner box will get re visited.

The 1.2 transfer box from the disco is due to the small tyres fitted to those vehicles. .... mine on 33s and 1.2 didn't lock up in top gear til nearly 60.... fitting the 1.4 means that comes down to just under 50.... much more use uk rds. It also accelerates better with lesz throttle input meaning more economy..... 

Am I right in my understanding that all the LT230s and the BW have the same or similar low range ratio?  If so, you could get a better range of ratios from a Defender with a 1.2 box and 4.1 diffs; LR probably compromised the Defender with a 1.4 LT230 because it was cheaper than having two sets of diff ratios in production (even though they already had to run a separate line for the Salisbury axles).

cj, I think that will give the most flexibility with gearing; the 1.4 takes both the GKN and Roamerdrive units, as well as underdrives, which is better than having a 1.2 transfer box when on hills or laden and also gives a taller final ratio engaged than the 1.2.  The snag is the price of an overdrive, but they can be worth it depending on how you use the vehicle.