P38A "KEY BATTERY LOW"

rrdude

Interesting issue with the display/cluster reporting  "KEY BATTERY LOW" message on an early (1995) GEMS P38A Range Rover

However when checking the batteries in the key fob they both show. 3.2v to 3.26 volts each. Both the remotes are showing this which leads me to believe this is something more.

Never seen this before, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

My P38 tells me this every time I get into it & I have never found the fault , I have now had the truck for 10 years + & the key fob has never let me down , but I do carry some spare batteries in the centre console just in case , in my opinion don't worry about it & just enjoy your P38 until the next problem pops up , Kind regards , Paul .

Thanks Paul, Have had this rig from the year dot and never seen this previously. I do normally change batteries about once a year and never see this to start with. Have checked and cleaned both boards etc. I ensure new batteries are cleaned and carefully installed with no contaminants (for example from oily hands) getting on them. The curious thing is both keys exhibit this same behaviour now.

Have always used keys in rotation as best as I can to minimise risk (after I got locked out years ago). However one can never take a chance with these contraptions eh' :-)

The car also has a new battery (with greater capacity too), fully charged with good ground etc.

Would be nice to know whats going on :-)

btw. Whats the go with getting a new key these days? Is the, ahem "st$$$er the only source? I would like to source a new one so that I can have a 'play' with the old ones. For example the silly contact 'splice' on the cap/cover needs improving (the one that pushed down on the positive side). How difficult would have been to make that part a little longer and more substantial and stable?

Edited by rrdude

15 hours ago, rrdude said:

Thanks Paul, Have had this rig from the year dot and never seen this previously. I do normally change batteries about once a year and never see this to start with. Have checked and cleaned both boards etc. I ensure new batteries are cleaned and carefully installed with no contaminants (for example from oily hands) getting on them. The curious thing is both keys exhibit this same behaviour now.

Have always used keys in rotation as best as I can to minimise risk (after I got locked out years ago). However one can never take a chance with these contraptions eh' :-)

The car also has a new battery (with greater capacity too), fully charged with good ground etc.

Would be nice to know whats going on :-)

btw. Whats the go with getting a new key these days? Is the, ahem "st$$$er the only source? I would like to source a new one so that I can have a 'play' with the old ones. For example the silly contact 'splice' on the cap/cover needs improving (the one that pushed down on the positive side). How difficult would have been to make that part a little longer and more substantial and stable?

Over here in England you still have to purchase spare keys through a main dealer , I had to get a replacement last year at the cost of £264 Sterling , & guess what " THE SAME BLOODY MESSAGE CAME UP ON THE DASHBOARD " At that point I gave in , maybe the brain needs resetting . Good luck with improving the old key fob , you can only make a better job of it than Land Rover ever did :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Only slightly off-topic, on the replacement key front I got a D2 style (non-folding) 'Avon'  key from David at Mobile Tuning in Spennymoor (no connection) and it works perfectly. It cost £99 including his tracked deliveries (one for the capture device and one for the key). He is very helpful (much more so than the dealer!) and it was easy. Big relief now having two keys.

I had this issue with one of my keys (the other just flat out refused to work so I ordered a replacement, mine was "only" 172 quid though).

I ended up taking the batteries out, cleaning them and then putting them back, I then twisted the battery holder to a position that stopped the annoying "low battery" warning. Been fine ever since.