2.5na oil filter housing assembly leak

The timing case and injection pump location also vary on the 200 - the Defender uses the 12J/19J case with low mounted pump and has different mountings for the alternator, PAS ans a different water pum with relocated fan..  There is only one basic version of the 300 for all models, with detail differences like EGR valves and EDC on the injection pump.

So in theory could the timing case from a 12J/19J be used interchangeably on a Defender 200Tdi or used to convert a Disco 200Tdi to a Defender 200Tdi with respect to the timing case?

I suspect so, but I'm not sure.  I can tell you the cases look the same and have the same overall dimensions, but I don't know if the injection pump studs and aperture are the same, given hat they use very different pumps.  The sprockets inside will fit as the 19J and 200Tdi use the same shafts.

I've often wondered how easy/feasable it would be to "Defenderise" a Discovery 200Tdi because as has been pointed out, Defender 200Tdi engines often have a significantly higher price tag than a Discovery 200Tdi.

Just a thought.

The block and head are the same, as is the flyhweel.  The injection pump is the same, just mounted in a lower location than the Discovery's, using longer injector pipes. I swapped the manifolds over to Defender versions as Discovery units don't fit in a 109 (they do in an 88).  I used an old SIII alternator mount after removing the aluminium PAS and alternator cradle as it gets in the way for SIII installations, but had to mount the alternator bracket forward on spacers as the crank pulley is longer to clear the Discovery water pump.  So, all the changes are quite easy if you have the parts - the mounts, timing case and contents, pumps and brackets and injector pipes, pulleys and manifolds.  The Defender version uses the 19J dipstick and tube, too, as the manifolds get in the way of the Discovery stick.

Having a Discovery engine turned out to be serendipitous for me as the front UJ hit the Defender engine mount under moderate braking after fitting Defender axles (inclined diff), but the high injection pump position allowed me to make a high arched bracket that cured the clash (no musical pun intended).