sidelight quiz!!!!!!!!!

Evening all. My '98 300tdi ht is ex fleet user, when the ignitions on and I put the sidelights on the small upper lights, light up as they should, but also the headlights seem to have another sidelight in them that comes on about 1-2 seconds later, and when I turn off the ign. the h/lights ones go out and the small ones stay on. I only mention this 'cause I 've seen quite a few late model 51,52 reg driving along with just the small ones lit. MY question is has mine got a strange bit of fleet wiring, have I got a bad earth and its actually the h/lights glowing dimly (they work purfect on their own), or is it one of those things that LR put in , then take out, from model to model. I'm sure some body will Know the answer, bonus point for the first correct answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers stumpy!!

thats the dim-dip system that was only fitted for a few years. they often fail as they get older so you cant turn the lights off.i think it gives the headlights 9v with sidelights & ignition on.

i dont know where the control box is on a defender, but on a disco its an orange multi-plug behind the fusebox. just unplug it if you dont like it, then the lights work 'correctly'.

p.s. can my bonus point be a brownie point? im saving for a girl guide ;)

That's the Dim Dip system, originally invented to prevent vehicles driving in built up areas on sidelights only, earlier vehicles have a black transformer behind the instrument pack, later vehicles use a relay in fuse box & resistor under the right front wing.

on the transformer vesrion if it diidn't work full lighting could be restored [except dimdip] by unpluging the connector, not sure if that works on the later versions, IIRC it's not a MOT test item ---- I like to have mine working correctly.

thats the dim-dip system that was only fitted for a few years. they often fail as they get older so you cant turn the lights off.i think it gives the headlights 9v with sidelights & ignition on.

i dont know where the control box is on a defender, but on a disco its an orange multi-plug behind the fusebox. just unplug it if you dont like it, then the lights work 'correctly'.

p.s. can my bonus point be a brownie point? im saving for a girl guide ;)

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tHANKS ANDY ( AND WESTERN) NOW i KNOW WAT TO DO IF IT GOES WRONG

ONE INFLATEABLE GIRL GUIDE ON ITS WAY, OH! AND WOULD YOU LIKE THE DE-LUXE VERSION WITH THE REAL HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B) :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: