P38 keyfob won't work engine emobilized

Grafter38

Hi everyone 

please can anyone help my p38 won't except my eka code nor will it resync my fob so engine is emobilized 

Ive replaced door lock checked wire connections replaced fob batteries but it still won't let me start it 

Any help much appreciated 

Whether it's a 4.0 or a 4.6 petrol engine, or a 2.5 diesel engine, and the year of the car, are all factors that could affect exactly how the system works as standard.
It should also go without saying that the test and faulting processes also vary by engine and year.

So, help yourself by giving us the appropriate information please. It will also help if you say which country you are in.

Regards.

David may have some better info than me shortly......., this has worked for me in the past.

Drivers window down (in case of lockout).

pop bonnet, disconnect battery (make sure you have or know code for radios before)

touch disconnected leads together for 10 secs to discharge any residual charge in ecus

re connect battery and lock drivers door and unlock drivers door using first key then keyfob then open door and key in to postion 2 within 20 secs.should be life again. (i'll go and see if i can find the older thread i wrote when my memory was better

from june 2015 "borrow or pick up a syncmate? or the other one has worked for me in the past open bonnet (wind windows down at front so you dont lock yourself out) then key on, key off. close drivers door take the battery neg off and wait 10 secs re-apply batt neg, lock/unlock drivers door with key open door and then press unlock on rf remote ign to pos 2 and crank within 30 secs"

Edited by pete3000
quoted text

How long are you having to leave the 'key code lockout' message displayed before it goes out?
My recollection is that the time doubles after each failure, and very soon it gets to seem a very long time indeed to leave the ignition switched on (and the car unlocked).

Do you have access to the RAVE Technical Documentation?
In my view this documentation is essential to maintaining one of these cars. Having it enables you to read up details yourself, using 'us' merely to check your understanding is correct. Alternatively, if one of 'us' finds a section that is felt to be relevant to the problem, all 'we' have to do is refer you to that section, which is much simpler than copying, and better than attempting a précis, with its risk of inadvertently omitting a vital bit of information.

" 2000 Range Rover vouge 4.6 v8 ".
Without doing the detailed research, I seem to recall the petrol versions were prone to loosing synchronisation between the BECM and the engine ECU. There was a friendly (IE automatic) synchronisation facility built in, via a pick-up coil around the ignition switch / steering lock, but that appears to be ineffective here. Forum member Ally V8 has more practical trade experience than most, although Ipswich is some way from his base around Bath.

If looking for second hand copies of the RAVE CDs (which you copy in their entirety onto your hard drive for a much speedier response) it seems you need 1999-on versions.
RAVE: ......................V012
Disc Part Number:...........VDW103530(1)     fulfils this criteria.
This is a two disc set, and while Disk 1 covers your vehicle, Disk 2 contains the Technical Bulletins, which are worthwhile reading.
You can go for a later set (I believe they went up to v20) because the later sets tended to simply add data to the earlier versions.
English version 16 twin disk set was the first to contain the Service and Recall Bulletins, again, interesting reading.

NAS v16 should be avoided because that was a single disc version, dealing with NAS vehicles only, and omitted the Technical Bulletins (IIRC) as LR North America had their own recall and update processes.

Regards.

Think my method relies on the fact the key fob needs to be learned in the 30 secs so if this is not happening...... it won't be happy. Next steps as David says is some reading then possibly a diagnostic/recode. The syncmate used to be available for not much money, to sort the engine immobilised/lockout. but if your keyfob isn't locking unlock the doors then it's.

Is your rf antenna connected to the rf receiver behind the rear quarter panel? some people unplug them on older receivers to avoid the battery drain from wireless weather stations/doorbells etc.