CV's

Am going to go for arbs and shafts. Whats the score with the std cv's i am runing 35x10.5x16 simex. cant really afford to go with the hd cv's at the min but want to use it offroad on some winter play days will the std cv's brake straght away or only under extreme use.

Thanks

Am going to go for arbs and shafts. Whats the score with the std cv's i am runing 35x10.5x16 simex. cant really afford to go with the hd cv's at the min but want to use it offroad on some winter play days will the std cv's brake straght away or only under extreme use.

Thanks

what year is the front axle ?

if it's a 90 or 110 this may help (I have not finished the rest of the section yet !) :

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/category_9.html

if you scroll down you should be able to work out the axle spec, to cut a long story short the early AEU 2522 rover CV is recognised as the strongest stock one and will be OK as long as you don't lock the front ARB at full steering lock,

its a 93 d90 200tdi

thanks

not ideal, these will be the smaller 32 spline where the halfshaft enters the CV, not as strong as the earlier 23 spline AEU2522, I think yours will also be 10 spline at the diff,

do you already have the front HD shafts ? if so are these 23 or 32 at the CV ?

If you have big tyre's there's only one way forward. 24/23 shafts and uprated C.V.s from Mr Ashcroft (as above posts). I bought front and rear shafts but thought id make do with the AEU..... C.V.s They are good but the first time you end up on ya nose stuck in a hole and think "I'll just lock the front to reverse out of here" they'll give up the goast. Do it all and save the hastle of trying to get a stuck landrover out of a deep gully in the middle of nowhere with one wheel locked up and bits of C.V. jamming the steering. Then you have to change the C.V. in a muddy wood and fish out all the brocken bits, probably in the rain if your lucks anything like mine. Ive now got ashcroft everything in my axle's and (touch wood) use the lockers with confidence.

I would go for rear arb, uprated shafts and flanges all round and a pair of Ashcroft CV's up front. You'll see a big benefit with the rear locker and knowledge that you can you power whenever on the Simex with the uprated transmission. Also just an FYI - many in UK feel that the third tread on the 36" Simex ET2's is not good for UK clay/mud conditions and go for 35" Simex ET's.

Then just save up for the front arb to fit later. ;);) One ARB is roughly about the same as the CV's

Cheers

Steve