2002 TD5 Wipers

I stopped at a friends house today while it was raining and had the wipers on intermitant wipe. I turned the ignition off while the wipers were in the middle of a wipe, went in dropped my son off, came back out to find that my wipers will not start and are in the upright position. Up until now the wipers have never played up and do not believe this is a mechanical issue. I have checked the fuse and no problem. There is also power on the top fuse connection with the ignition on. I got home and took the dash corner off enough to get to the park switch however no matter what position the column wiper switch is in there is no power getting to the park switch plug. Then I thought column switch or relay. I do have power getting through to the washers (they work!) when you pull back on the switch but everything else appears dead.

Would the general concensus of opinion be to get a new column switch and a new relay (I have  AMR2341 fitted behind the dash binicle) or is there an easy way of testing which is broken without taking the column to bits? Any perils of wisdom gladly accepted as my grey matter in relation to electric items is not functioning today!

Toby

Th wiper park switch is a common problem with these, there should be 12v power on the White/Green wire to the switch with ignition on, the Black one is ground and the Black/Green should be either 0v or 12v depending on the switch position, (normally 0v if parked.)

If the washer is working there will be power to the wiper switch so the wiper should work at least in the fast or "flick" positions, if not, either the contacts on the switch are open/dirty/knackered or the motor is goosed.

I just went back out and they are working now! When I had my multimeter out earlier there was definetly no power on any of the wires on the grey connector at the park switch (i tried them all as I am colour blind). I thought the same about the washers working and the power to the switch. Would I be right in saying that in the fast position the motor has a direct feed and when on slow and intermitent that it goes through the relay?

Hope I do not have an intermitent problem!!

Toby

Yes the fast wipe connects the motor directly via the switch, the slow position connects through the switch but also via a contact on the relay, then on to a separate wire that connects via a resistor fitted internally to the wiper motor.

The relay is primarily used for the intermittent wipe delay function but as above power is routed via (I think) a normally closed contact on the relay.

wipers.pdf