Off Road Insurance, far away from home

jackmac

Hi all,

In a bit of a conundrum. My 90 is used purely for challenging these days, and is now stored near my co-driver which is 180 miles away from where I live. Having informed my insurance company (Heritage) of this they've promptly cancelled my policy, because apparently I can't live/be that far away from where the vehicle is kept. The only way they will insure it is if I either store it at mine, or I transfer the V5 to his name and he takes out a policy on it which I don't really want to do seen as it's my car...

Has anybody experienced this before, and found a willing insurer? I've basically been told by mine that they don't think anybody will cover it, and I haven't really got the time at the moment to be calling round dozens of companies trying to find cover! I'm not willing to leave it uninsured at all, so at the moment I'll be doing a long trip after work one evening next week to go and fetch it.

I've found NFU to be more flexible in the past if you phone a branch. They were the only one that would insure the contents of my workshop after talking to the underwriter. All the mainstream insurers just gave me 'The computer says no' type answer.

Some do laid up insurance where its insured against theft but not for driving etc. usually has to be in a garage though.

Edited by Cynic-al

My 90 is insured on laid-up cover with Adrian Flux, previously it has lived in an open-sided barn, an enclosed grain store and now a locked shipping container, they've never quibbled as to it's location or to how it's secured but it's always had a tracker and been chained to the ground. The cost has varied dependent on the postcode it's been stored at for the last few years and cover is only whilst parked at the designated address. It's not insured for the road, simply fire, theft and vandalism. I don't live in the UK and again Adrian Flux were happy with that, the vehicle is parked in England however.

When it comes to renewal time, I'll be calling the NFU simply because having dealt with them before, they are brilliant and we have been slowly moving policies over to them. As Cynic-al says, call your local office, they are generally much more helpful and you can speak to the same person each time rather than a call centre.

Edited by Boris113