Help - very annoying glitch

NegevLandRover

Maybe one of you can point me in the right direction ?!

The engine is a slightly modified 300 TDI - the mods are turbo and breather related.

The problem seems to be electric at least as far as I can figure. While driving on rough tracks the engine suddenly looses power for a second or so at a time, it never cuts out just stops pulling momentarily and then comes on line again. Symptoms rather like a momentary fuel block on a carbed engine but like I said only on rough roads so unlikely to be dirty or impure fuel. Also the engine never cuts out just drops to tickover or close. No electric surges such as lights dimming etc.

The engine does not surge so it is not a traction thing and it happens when in locked diff mode both high and low as well as in unlocked diff mode.

Checked the wire to the fuel pump and that seems OK.

The problem is obviously more noticeable when climbing but I am pretty sure that it is there on the flat and decending but as the power cut is momentary it is hardly noticeable.

TIA

Adam

Sounds to me as if it could be an air leak into the diesel system somewhere. May be very hard to trace as it's only a momentary problem.

Possible and an idea I have entertained the main reason I have not persued this path, yet, is that the problem only occurs on rough roads when the engine is taking a shaking and when on paved surfaces, even when I really turn the power on, there is no problem ?!

Adam

Thanks MO - worth a try and on the basis of "start with the small/easy stuff first and work up from there" definetly worth a try so I'll go and do that and see what happens. How far back did you go and if I want to go all the way back where does that wire begin ?

Adam

Thanks MO - worth a try and on the basis of "start with the small/easy stuff first and work up from there" definetly worth a try so I'll go and do that and see what happens. How far back did you go and if I want to go all the way back where does that wire begin ?

Adam

Adam,

I went back as far as I could reach and replaced the wire from there. Luckily the break must have been in the section I cut out as the problem was eliminated :) and I didn't have to do any more. Had that not resolved the problem then I would have run a new wire from an ignition switched live.

It seems to be a pretty harsh environment for a wire to live in and I noticed that the insulation had hardened and that some cracks had appeared so I sleeved the new wire and then put some plastic cable armour on the outside of it to protect it from the environment.

Mo

I had similar problems, Adam. I replaced the fuel solenoid wire back as far as I could see it and that cured the problem.

HTH

Mo

This was going to be my suggestion too.

I had (different) 300tdi fuel solenoid problems on my first Discovery. As soon as there is no current to this it obviously cuts off the fuel to the engine. I think an intermittent break in the wire would give the sypmtoms you describe.

A temp fix would be to wire the fuel solenoid to an ignition controlled supply - if that cures it you know what it is!! It has to be ignition controlled otherwise of course the engine won't stop when you turn the ignition off - unless you deliberately stall it of course.