D2 TD5 with a 1.4 transfer box and OD?

reb78

I've always found the D2 to rev fairly high at motorway speeds. I've also found that mine has a decent amount of pull left at these speeds too.

As such, i was wondering what folks thought about fitting a 1.4:1 transfer box plus GKN overdrive to the vehicle? What technical issues might i encounter in doing so?

(no need for discussion about the reliability of the GKN ODs, I am aware of these and run one successfully on the 110).

I believe you need to modify the body slightly at the back of the transmission tunnel. I have a vague recollection that GKN made an input gear for these for the 1.2 transfer boxes when they came out as the input gear has a different number of teeth (??) to the 1.4 ratio box, so you could fit them with a little modification. However, even if you coudl find an input gear I reckon the 1.2 plus the GKN would make the final gears too tall, hence the thought about going over to a 1.4 transfer box plus the GKN.

Mine is a manual.