TD5 Turbo blown - advice please

MBE_NZ

Hi guys, well the turbo blew on my 110 td5 today, loud fan belt screeching kind of sound with instant loss of boost. Limped along the freeway a bit to safe stopping area. It was blowing a lot of smoke (actually looked like steam but smelt rubbery) popped hood. turbo very noisy.. Removed air intake and the impeller centre very loose. 

So time for new turbo. Thinking I should make the leap to a vgt (or variable vane or whatever they're called) while I'm at it. I have the performance map (from Mastaz)  fitted with larger aluminium performance intercooler. Any suggestions? Advice please? 

It's my daily driver and need vehicle on the road so need to get sorted quickly

Thanks in advance

David

• 3 weeks later...

well I have had the original turbo repaired and finally reinstalled it. noticed blackened intercooler hoses so cleaned them out and I have ordered a provent 200 catch can for peace of mind. I also noticed very worn fanbelt - so replaced belt - drove ~60 km's and new one shredded - then noticed the tensioner bearing  was shot and not turning. have ordered replacement OE tensioner and another belt

is it possible that the tensioner and turbo dying are connected in any way? 

I had noticed that the steering was a little hard, but Voltage was 14.1 when running (about norm) and brakes felt fine, oil pressure and coolant temp showing in normal range on Madman

Anything else I should check? I don't want to have to repair / replace turbo again - was NOT a cheap repair, would have been cheaper to have bought new one :-(

How many miles on the engine. Have you changed the oil regularly? TD5 turbos are long lived if looked after.

As long as the aux drive belt was still turning it should be OK.  It it comes off the dash will light up with warnings and the engine will quickly overheat.

But it sounds like you just had turbo failure. I assume you also checked the air filter? On mine the air filter almost collapsed after a heavy rain storm on the motorway (freeway) and if it had come apart the bits may have wrecked the turbo.

IMAG2083.jpg

That's interesting, I've never seen that before with regard to your filter, that must have been some rain storm.

Regarding Turbo failure, I'd be changing the oil (if you haven't already) and I'd also be changing the secondary centrifugal oil filter, the TD5 was designed to have pretty long service interval with extended oil life i.e. it having the duel filter arrangement. I doubt the fan belt failure contributed to the turbo going

thanks guys.

the exact miles the TD5 has done is very hard to say (in NZ we pay road tax on KM base for diesel vehicles) the previous owner drove only 80kms in nearly 3 years and I know he traveled a long way each week in it. I would estimate the engine has traveled over 600,000 kms - I've personally driven it over 200,000 kms

I run K&N air filter - which is still as good as new - your air filter Lightning is scarily impressive

Yes I changed the oil and  both filters when i refitted the turbo. also changed the oil and filters again after first 300kms due to paranoia.

If anything I probably over service my Landrovers. the TD5 gets engine oil & filters every 10 - 15 thousand kms & diffs, TC & Gearbox every 30000.

The 3.9 disco (modified, lifted on 35's, 4.1 ratio diffs with lockers etc etc) I service probably every ~1000kms incl the TC & diff oils but thats only used off road and works hard

• Like 1

Some impressive miles :rolleyes: it really grinds me gears the hang up's people have on vehicle mileage especially in LR's people just don't understand that with TLC and some regular servicing and parts overhaul/change trucks will literally run forever.