D2 TD5 no start but "clicks"

James NZ

Hi everyone,

went to start the wife's TD5 this morning (our main car) and got a single click but no start. It clicked when I realised the ignition key and the click appears to be from the starter. I've done a search and am about to clean all terminals etc, will put the battery on charge, will also see if the car starts by using the V8 battery (830cca). The TD5 starter had new contacts and plunger 22193km ago.

I read somewhere that a single click is the relay and or solenoid, but rapid or multiple clicks indicates a dying battery, this sounds correct?

With New Zealand about to close tomorrow at lunchtime (Friday) for the xmas holidays any other pointers will be helpful and may just reduce my stress levels!

Thanks, James NZ

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies, it turned out to be the contacts within the starter solenoid. Just picked some up locally and will fit them but I think the underlying problem is that the solenoid had quite a lot of oil in it which had affected the terminals. So I'll also need to figure out where the engine is leaking from and sort that out as well.

My wife mentioned the other day that the car was "clonking", think I found the problem as per the pic. Fortunately I already have a rebuild kit in stock for the driveshaft.

Have a merry christmas.

Cheers, James NZ

20171221_161321.jpg