Defender Dash Speakers - 13cm?

Hi all,

I'm part way through my installation and have to sort the dash speakers out. It looks like the original spaces are for 10cm speakers, however, it would be nice to get something slightly bigger in.

I've noticed that Mud sell 13cm spacers. I'm not sure though if they simply fit over the original spaces and then allow enough depth for all 13cm speakers, or, if the hole in the dash still needs cutting away to allow for the larger sized magnet to fit in place? Does anyone have any experience of fitting 13cm speakers to the dash?

Thanks in advance.

You won't need to cut bigger holes, Jonny, as the new speakers will be sitting further out on those spacers and they're roughly conical.  You will have to drill new screw holes, though.

You'll need to check the dimensions of the speakers match the spacers - not just the diameter, but the screw positions.  If they don't match, you can make your own from MDF.  Just make sure to prime and paint them so they're water proof and don't disintegrate.

Alternatively fit some good 10cm speakers with separate tweeters at each end of the dash top (they are only tiny, mine are attached with Velcro)

Then fit a subwoofer in the battery compartment, it will still work with the cover on. Or in the bottom of the cubby box if you have one. 

If you have a TD5 the wiring will be present for rear speakers, you just buy the corner pods, get some 10cm speakers and plug ‘em in.

With the above you’ll have seriously good sound in your Defender.

Thanks all.

I’ve installed some morel 6.5” coaxials in the rear and have ordered some 4” blam components for the front. I’m putting in my old powered Alpine sub too so will be sounding great. Need to find a switched power connection to connect the sub too and I should be just about there