Series III project

Baker

afternoon,

new to this forum so go gentle lol

i have been offered a 1976 SWB with 73k on the clock. The chassis has been sorted and the bulkhead replaced with a second hand but solid unit. The engine turns by hand and it hasn’t not run in 5 years. It’s had two owners from new 1976 and 2011. 

All the bits are there but I have not had a Landy for 20 years. I can turn a spanner and it not my first project but I have doubts about tackling it as I don’t have garage space.

the vehicle is only £600 so I think a bit of a bargain and just what I need to get to my horses in the bad weather.

what do you guys think?

regards

Craig

B6EEBB8C-86AA-4AA7-885A-97E2BDED1BE5.jpeg

AFBAD9EF-B679-498D-AE3E-3889197C1D16.jpeg

9F49FC3D-F83C-4799-A5A4-CCBB29F546AD.jpeg

I bought a project a few months ago, it needed a new half chassis, have put in new brake lines, bushes, rod ends, fuel tank, carb, free'd off and cleaned brakes etc...thought id nearly done and now the gearbox has issues and possibly engine problems as well.

So all in all has cost more money and time than I thought, but that's par for the course with cars isn't it?

If you enjoy it and have the time space and money, then crack on.  As for the cost of buying, I don't know, mine was more than yours anyway!

Good luck.

Money is relative in projects like this. It takes grunt, stubbornness and understanding people around you to complete them.

Looks like most big bits are there - and many small ones will need to be replaced anyway..

Make sure the paperwork complies to the metal in front of you - otherwise, think again.

Bon Courage !!

...and we are always nice to people. Esp. those brave enough to take on a project like that.

Welcome! 

Engine turning by hand is a good sign, but they're often getting very tired these days anyway - you may be lucky and it'll fire up and run nicely with some fresh points, leads, plugs and the carb cleaning, though. All depends how it's been looked after. Some fresh oil and a compression test can tell quite a lot. 

Maybe have a poke around the rear crossmember, double check there aren't any horrors there that someone missed. That's almost always the worst place. 

I'd have to say, for £600, it looks like a goer :) Don't worry about being outside, I've never worked on my projects under cover! Can be frustrating when it's peeing down, but there's usually loads that can be fettled in a shed or, dare I say it, on the kitchen table :ph34r:

I use my 109 around the livery yard quite a bit, carrying hay and water, harrowing the school etc. I don't know what we'd do without it! Something right about landys around horses too, they just fit together. 

Good luck, and please start a build thread when you begin tinkering - we all love seeing projects come together. Lots of knowledge here to help you on your way too. 

• Like 1