Defender - gearbox to transfer box drive shaft

The shaft between the gearbox and transfer box has failed and worn the teeth and spline so that no drive is possible (2014 model). Landrover refuse me any compensation as the replacement was carried out by a non-franchise dealer. The replacement cost was getting on for £1,000. Has anyone else had this problem?

3 hours ago, smallfry said:

Warranty ? After four years ?

I had assumed the base warranty was 5 years as it is with most automakers.  I see the LR only gives 3 years.  That is sad.  If he was out of warranty, why did he try and get LR to pay?

Probably because it’s a well known issue so there may have been a goodwill gesture to be had. I fear though that that is unlikely. Land Rover have no interest in it - they had nine years to fix it and didn’t bother, in the end Ashcroft did as above.

If it wasn’t such a shoddy design it would be funny. Years after the well-known issue with improper lubrication of the LT77/R380 output shaft was solved with the cross-drilled input gear they manage to recreate the problem in a different way with the naff MT82 bodge-tastic spud shaft.

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, Red90 said:

I had assumed the base warranty was 5 years as it is with most automakers.  I see the LR only gives 3 years.  That is sad.  If he was out of warranty, why did he try and get LR to pay?

I must confess that having never bought a new car, I assumed that it would only be a year in any case !

As others have said, a goodwill gesture for a known fault would have been nice. I imagine though, that JLR would be making an awful LOT of goodwill gestures !