Pros and cons of a D3 ‘van’

reb78

What are the pros and cons of buying a commercial D3? The obvious is that they generally only have two seats (not an issue for me). There’s a few out there and they are better prices than the ‘car’ equivalent. 

Generally (though by no means always) lower trim level. Likely to have worked harder, maybe higher mileage, driven and serviced less sympathetically.

I have a feeling quite a few were bought as commercials and converted to 5 seats before or after resale.

In D4 the trim level extends to the engine and gearbox spec (single/twin turbo and 6spd/8spd gearbox), but I think D3 were all the same.

I'd only be concerned about the maintenance, not trim level or car/van etc. A poorly maintained D3 can be a real money pit (as can a well maintained one, but you know what I mean :rolleyes:)

Thanks. 

I don’t mind the trim level too much. So air con and blue tooth would be nice, I’d be happy with a manual box. Vehicle sat nav isn’t worth having imo as it’s always out of date or an expense to keep up to date and google maps is better!

My other half’s bro in law does exactly what you suggest with the seats on his (his are always too new for my pocket when he sells them). 

Servicing/hard work is a worry though so important to look at, but apart from that sounds like there aren’t any big pitfalls.

Theres a few on about 100,000 - 120,000 miles about at the moment 07-09 reg for £7500ish. Didn’t think that was too bad. 

I think I’m right in saying that road tax is a lot cheaper? Half the price of the non commercial vehicles?

Edited by reb78

D3 satnav is hopeless for routing even when up to date. Factory bluetooth depends on what module is fitted. I think 09 on was better, but the early one is ok with the latest firmware installed, light on features if you care about the toys, but solid as a way of making/answering calls.

There are plenty around with 200k+ on them, and more, that always seem to sell for more than I'd give for the miles.

Not sure on the road tax, had a vague recollection of the same, but don't know.

For general D3 issues, there's plenty of info out there on the web, but the things that come to mind :-

• '08 is apparently the year for dead engines - the oil pump mount was changed and they fail taking out the engine. pump and casing can be changed for the later version. (No personal experience here,just what I've read)
  • Watch for torque converter flutter (rev counter flutters going uphill at 70mph). A gearbox oil change might fix it or it might need a new TC. I change the oil when it starts to flutter. I did it first around 90k, now at 170k without a new TC. Changed it 3-4 times so far.
  • Air suspension pumps fail, sometimes just needs new dessicant. I've owned mine for 120k, I've changed dessicant once, fitted one s/hand pump and one new pump.
  • Lots and lots of bushes to wear out.
  • door locks and boot locks fail - replacement is fiddly and not cheap (unless you fit new motors in the old packs), but not a problem.
  • Sunroof drain tubes rot out and dump rainwater into the fusebox. There are a LOT of fuses....
  • Wheel bearings - not Defender simple, but not bad if you have a press. Often no warning signs before failure.

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but thats my recollection of the last 5 years/120k, now over 170k total.

Edited by TSD