Rear crankshaft seal leak

I guess that this is the smoking gun... 

The engine was practically pi$$ing oil. What a pain it is to replace this seal!!

Here is a before and after showing the offending seal and the new one in place.

Did I say that the job was a pain??

C

DSCN5002.JPG

DSCN5009.JPG

It is a joyous task to do for a relatively cheap item . Did you fit a factory supplied seal ?

....mind you it is really satisfying when it's done and you aren't leaving little messages everywhere it's parked :)

cheers

Steve b

I believe that the seal was the one that came with the Payen gasket kit. The one that I replaced was the $$ one from Turner Engineering that was put in when the engine was rebuilt two years ago. Not sure if the seal was faulty or the installation was botched.

I made sure to put some gasket material around the lip of the gasket hole before I installed the gasket. There have been no leaks so far, but the water pump has started to leak so that will need to be replaced before I can take the beast out for a good thrashing.

C

I paid a garage a lot of money to do this job on my first Defender (a 300 TDI) and it started leaking after a month or so.

The garage blamed all kinds of things such as crankcase pressure, scoring etc and refused to do anything further.

I contacted Les Henson, who did the job for a reasonable price and it never leaked another drop of oil from that area again!