Down on power and using water

Ethank012

So I was on holiday in Wales yesterday, anyway going up a large hill I hear a pop and my temp gauge starts to rise, and I start to loose power! To the point where if I try and pull away I stall, my throttle response also is extremely slow. so I pull over and I have literally no coolant left and my pressure cap has actually popped off! bit weird but I always carry enough water to fill it back up, so I do, all air bubbles out and a quick check I can’t see any leaks. So I carry on going, trucks running st the correct temp but just seams a bit sluggish (more so than usual) but temp starts to rise again. Pull over and put in more water that it’s used! Anyway I limp it to a motor factors that has a head gasket quick seal stuff, about 8 miles up the road, but I have lost almost all my coolant! It’s important that I mention that there is no smoke at all, anyway the head gasket sealant seems to stop me from loosing water, and I managed to drive the 160 miles back home on it with no problems at all, just slightly down on power! When I get back in I saw that a puddle was forming about an hour after getting back in! I didn’t think it was leaking in Wales but maybe I was wrong! Also I have noticed before that there is clearly pink staining on the metal part of the pipe where it’s leaked from the same place before! (I’ve only had the truck about 2 months)

I’ve been racking my mind trying to work out why I’m down on power, and the only thing I can think off is that I’ve blown my head gasket, and pressureised the system to cause the leak from the a pipe. Which would be probably where I’m loosing coolant from without smoke! Anyone got any other ideas? What’s the go to thing?

thanks a lot!

What vehicle and what engine?

If a 200/300Tdi then I would say you've probably blown head gasket but if you got to the point it started to tighten up then I would be surprised if there is not damage. Head needs to come off and inspect the head for warping and the bores for damage in my view.