Freelander 1 td4 2.0 knocking between 1000 & 2000rpm only

kentgirl1978

Hi im new to this so please bare with me.

I own a fl1 td4... it juddders and knocks and smokes ... not at idle but only between 1000 & 2000 rpm above 2000rpm it is fine again... had egr valve blanked off.. new fuel filters... now there is no engine managment lights  that have come on nor has it gone into limp mode, had computer put on and coming up with no faults...  I have also noticed when unlocking car it now beeps at me when i undo door as if alarm/immobiliser isn't disconnecting... this maybe a coincidence or not i don't know... any ideas from anyone please ...??? Many.thanks 

Welcome!

There's a few well-documented and easily fixed issues with TD4's - split pipes / hoses are popular causes of poor running and cheap & easy to fix. The vacuum control line for the turbo actuator and the intercooler hoses splitting or rubbing are common. If you search back through the forum you'll find it all covered.

The immobiliser beeping means your keyfob battery is running low.

19 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Welcome!

There's a few well-documented and easily fixed issues with TD4's - split pipes / hoses are popular causes of poor running and cheap & easy to fix. The vacuum control line for the turbo actuator and the intercooler hoses splitting or rubbing are common. If you search back through the forum you'll find it all covered.

The immobiliser beeping means your keyfob battery is running low.

Many thanks I'll have a look. Much appreciated

Yes, beeping will be a low keyfob battery. Its a CR2032. Most supermarkets or Toolstation will have them.

Knocking will most likely be the crankshaft pulley separated. Its a two piece bonded rubber to metal thing. Sounds like your big ends have gone !

Smoking could be lots of things unfortunately...…………...