Headliner Fixings

Hi,

I just bought a genuine defender headliner, front and rear, to install in my D reg 90.  This vehicle originally only had a front headliner (I believe there was never an option for a rear headlining for van-bodied vehicles without alpine windows?). I'll be installing it without any of the other rear trim pieces window surrounds etc.

Anyhow, my question relates to what fixings or brackets are needed to secure the headlining? The front section uses the rear view mirror and sun-visors but what about the rear?

Above the rear door, newer defenders have twin grab handles that fix through the headlining, what are these attached to? Nut plates? Can these be bought as a separate part The two interior lights - do the backing plates with studs fix to the metal roof and have a role in retaining the headlining?

Any advice, pictures and part numbers would be appreciated.

I had to bond a length of aluminium box section to the centre of the roof to fit mine (I have an externally ribbed roof too). The rear above door panel should go into brackets with fir tree fasteners but mine is a really tight fit so I didn't feel the need to fabricate any. The rear grab handles on mine are drilled through the inner lip with self tapping screws so require no brackets, I also made up some filler panels for the alpine light cutouts.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c0596a616b54f93287f56c88b11f593.jpeg

Not the best of pics but you should just be able to make out the box section running front to back from the inner rib, the roof loom is clipped to this.

image.thumb.jpeg.ab43385cf0ba51229e09e75162298075.jpeg

fitted up.

image.jpeg.867a213a17dab7003ed1347d4bc48c60.jpeg

DIY filler panels for the alpine lights.