Transfer Box front Flange & Seal replacement - Help required

Madcowz

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the Front Flange and seal (STC3432) on my One Ten LT230 Transfer Box and have two issues that I could do with some help and advice with please.

1) I'm confused as to how the new flange & bits go back in.
2) I can't get the old seal out (I know, pretty pathetic)

1) The old flange had a Nut, thick metal washer behind the nut, and a thin rubber washer butted up against the base of the splined shaft of the box (visible in 2nd picture). The new one has a nut and a fibre washer. No metal washer and no rubber washer. Huh?

Also, the new dust cover/metal thingy is a completely different shape to my current one and once installed on the flange, doesn't seem to leave much flange to go inside the seal. Let me add a picture to help describe as I'm not very good at words.

IMG_3927.thumb.jpg.238995067b0cc70d4e0a4717df933155.jpg

2) How do I remove the old seal?

Unless I'm being an idiot, the seal is being very stubborn and I'm having trouble removing it. Am I missing a trick here? I've tried levering it out with a large screwdriver but it's not budging, it keeps on slipping and my forearms are finding all the sharp bits under the car and it hurts a lot.

IMG_3926.jpg.f29fc344a054a29bf40b95db7a16339e.jpg 

Many thanks, if I've missed out any info please say.

Heds

Thanks guys, I’ll drill, tap and lever the seal out tomorrow. Hadn’t thought of doing that so thanks. 

The mudshield is just resting in my photo as I didn’t want to press it in then find it was the wrong way/wrong part. It’s a long cycle to my parts supplier and pretty cold and wet just now.

Will grease and press it on tomorrow (after putting the bolts in :-) ).

Hi,

More help required please.

I've reused the original mud shield and put the new seal and flange in but when I tighten the nut up tight enough, my transfer box won't rotate. It's only when I slacken the nut off does it rotate.

Is this because I have put it back in the wrong order? 

I put the flange on, then the fibre washer, then the thick washer and then the nut. tightened it up to 103ftlb as per the Haynes book for the rear. It was then that I couldn't rotate it. Slackening it off until the nut is loose and it rotates again. 

Odd as I had no problems doing the rear flange.

UPDATE:

I couldn't get anything to work using the existing mud shield. Every time I tightened the nut up, it was jamming the shield on the housing and wouldn't rotate, slackening it off and the flange would rotate but not the shield. 

So I tried the new shield and it worked fine. Was able to torque it up and it was free to rotate. Odd. Not sure if the seal is different from the previous one but that's all I can think of.

Anyway, just thought I'd update the post if anyone was having a similar issue.

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

I have a question about the mudshield FTC4940 as shown in dailysleaze photo.

Is this mudshield pressed on using the outer rim or inner rim?

I have one of these mudshields which came in a flange kit. The bottom inner (indented piece) of the mudshield touches the flange middle cylinder.

I can not see how the mudshield can be pushed onto the flanges raised surface.