Freelander transmission problem

Jay1989

Hi guys, so have a little query about a slight problem I'm having with my freelander 1, 2002 reg.

Hopeing someone could shed some light on my situation.

Basicly the problem I'm having is a constant loud whine noise when driveing my freelander the noise is noticeable as soon as I release the clutch and set off in both first and reverse, the noise is constantly there in all gears and even when free rolling out of gear...... so I have removed the entire propshaft from the car and it drives sound with no noise at all there seems to be no play at all in the front pinion and both front transfer box and rear diff have plenty of new oil in them with no noticeable leaks the centre bearings on the propshaft mounts seem to be fine too but when I  reconnect the prop there is a loud whineing noise again what the hell????

Could this possibly be a seized viscous coupling this loud whine or could it be a problem in the front transfer box the loud noise is deffo coming from either the front or middle of the car it deffo doesn't sound as though it's at the back however like I said before with no prop connected there is no noise what so ever I would keep the car as 2wd but I would much prefer to have 4wd as I do like to do a bit of light off roading. Hopeing someone could possibly shed a bit of knowledge on this situation as I'm pretty much stumped at this point thanks in advance guys 

I agree with small fry - look at the VC carrier bearings first.  Noise with the the prop shaft in and no noise when the prop shaft is out points to one of the following : the bearings in the rear of the IRD where the rear drive is taken from (these can be noisy with the load of the prop shaft but fine when there is no load like when the shaft is out), the front prop shaft CV, any of the universal joints in the drive shaft or the bearings that hold the VC in  place. 

The most common failure is the bearings that hold the VC in place and these are relatively easy to replace.

If it was the bearings in the rear of the IRD you would probably hear loud bashing a crashing as worn bearings can allow the crown wheel and pinion of the rear drive to unmesh.  The CV on the front of the prop shaft goes on forever and the first you would probably find is it being so worn there would be no drive to the rear.  The UJs would make noise but are like any other UJ.  With the prop shaft in place and looking for movement in the CV, the carrier bearings, or the UJs should be obvious.

You also need to test the VC - if you look on Youtube and type in "test freelander viscous coupling"  you will see lots of vids on this - I did one about 8 years ago that is there but cannot find it but there are plenty of others.

Look to the VC carrier bearings first.

Garry

Easiest way I have found to test the viscous coupling is to mark both parts with a spot of tippex or paint, then drive the car a little way and do a three point turn, and then look to see if the marks have moved in relation to each other. If they have NOT, you definitely have a problem.