Terrafirma arms and bushings.

ajh

Has anyone had experience/issues pressing Allmakes metalastic axle end bushings into Terrafima Defender 3deg radius arms? Just looking it seems like the bushings are larger than the opening provided. After several press attempts I want to make sure I don't need to bore them out, I never thought of the bushing collar as something that would compress very much.

I suspect they only ever fit polys, but this is a long travel setup and rubber is more suitable. They are clearly not even bored after welding as they don't even seem round when you look closely. The fact they are painted on the bushing surface would also contribute to the idea they never considered someone might want to install normal bushings. Machining a purpose build press die would probably also help.

21 hours ago, hurbie said:

is it possible to measure the hole and bushing with calipers , to see if they match ?

Not anymore. I suspect I removed about 1 to 1.5mm and they were still a tight fit, enough that I need to prep and repaint before installing tomorrow. I don't have anything precise enough at the moment, but the fact they don't seem perfectly round makes that harder too.

One question though. Always used polys in the past.. with using the oe style one side of the tube sticks out more than the other, is this the inboard or outboard side? I assume inboard to allow more flex, but welcome correction.